Bombastic Orchestral Score - your opinion please

nontacky
Unregistered

Hi,

I just finished my work on two new orchestral tracks. I tried to get compose a style like in "The Lord of the Rings" (No. 1) and like in "Spiderman" (No.2 - Man I love Danny Elfman Smile.

I had a hard time with the sound setting, because it didn't sound realistic enough - but right now I am rather pleased with the result. Perhaps anyone of you has some more ideas how to get the sound even better.

Both tracks are being used in professional game projects, so don't use them for any purposes.

Enjoy!

http://www.dynamedion.de\samples\lords_of_chaos.mp3

http://www.dynamedion.de\samples\castle_siege.mp3
Quote this message in a reply
Himiona
Unregistered

Himiona
Unregistered

Kick ass tunes dude!

What the hell sample library is that Choir? Voices of the Appocalypse? It is HUGE!

Excellent work - of course you knew that already!

What brass and string library are you using?

Regards

H.
M.J.
Unregistered

Wow! Wow

Great stuff! Very cinematic. All the samples rocked in my opinion (the percusion was the weakest, but still plenty good). Like Himiona, I would appreciate info on the sample libraries you used also. As a musician, I'd love to get my chops on some of those French horn parts in Lords of Chaos.

Thanks for sharing those with us.

M.J.
nontacky
Unregistered

Hi all,

thanks for your answers - very nice Smile

As for the samples libraries we have used:

The choir is a mixture of VOTA and a small live choir (12 singers) - so we didn't use Sample Libs only.

The Strings are from the Vienna Symphonic Lib - it's the first time we've used them .. there is still some room left to improve the quality there.

The Brass section consists of the SAM Horns & Trombones Lib as well as some live played trombones - we worked with a very good trombone player how dubbed some of the brass parts.
Greg Gant
Unregistered

Man we get some people with some great stuff in the forums making game music.

I went to check out your site but unfortunantly hadn't heard of the titles you've done work on, although they all seem to be "soon to be released" games

Still, impressive work, what brings you to our neck of the woods and are any of the titles you're working on for the Macintosh?
nontacky
Unregistered

Hi Greg - well you are right - the important titles we have been working on are still to be released. As always in the german games business there is a certain lack of public interest outside Germany.

All games will be released worldwide though - I think that mainly Spellforce and No Man's Land are the titles anyone of you might have heard of, as there were some articles about the two games in the PC GAMERS magazine.

I must admit, that I do not know if any of our projects are to be released for Macintosh - i remember some discussions about it, but I do not want to say yes or no - I just don't know for sure.

Greetz
Greg Gant
Unregistered

I figured that these games weren't something that made it to the States. As for the Macintosh bit, just asking because iDevgames is Macintosh gaming dev site.
Luminary
Hey but don't let that drive you away! These are great!!
Hey, great sound on both tracks! Ok, I'm not sure if you are looking for music critique or production ideas, but I'll give a shot at both.

In "The Lords of Chaos", I have some ideas for making it even more dramatic. Starting right at the beginning, the crescendoing G->C notes. A common way to make a crescendo sound more dramatic in an orchestra is to delay it. That is, instead of a linear increase in volume, an exponential one. The same could be applied to the rest of the piece.

Also, I think you'd agree that this is a very rhythmic piece. In addition it is a very dramatic piece. You could make some of the offbeats or upbeats accented, I think it'd add to the scary/uneasy atmosphere of the music.

I think from personal experience, realistically the strings would probably be a little louder in the piece. Usually the conductor is yelling at the strings to shutup in these type of pieces and not drown out the choir.

The crescendo around the time 45 seconds is kinda weird. I'd suggest either picking the timpani to go nuts, in other words make it a MUCH larger crescendo and a lot louder; or, you could have a really soft roll with a really soft mallet for a thumping sound with no build at all. That'd kinda give the quiet-before-the-storm effect. Right now I'm not sure whether it is crescendoing or not... I think that could be a lot more obvious to the listener.

But great work on it overall, I really wish I had some samples like those!

Now, in "Castle Siege", my only real idea about it is about the violin/viola solo around time 45 seconds. To me, that sample has a little bit of the washed-out synthesizer. I'd suggest looking for one with much more vibrato and more attack, if you have one in your obviously awesome sample library.

Again, sounds great, and I hope you continue to share your music with us!

-Jon Czeck
About the choir sounds. Are those patches or samples? And what language and what are they saying!? I always wonder.

-Jon Czeck
nontacky
Unregistered

Well they are a mixture of VOTA and live singers as mentionned above. They do not sing in any language - these are just fantasy words

THX for the suggestions

Nontacky

visit: http://www.dynamedion.com
-Rice-
Unregistered

That is some beautiful music! You have quite a talent for orchestration. I loved both pieces, very well constructed. I saw on your home page you live in Mainz. Is that the Mainz up B9 from Worms? Not only do you have an incredible talent, but live in a gorgeous city - very lucky ( I used to live in Worms). Please keep us posted, both on your music and the release of the games your music is in.

good luck,

Rice

P.S. How about some Edgar Froese style pieces?
nontacky
Unregistered

Yep,

you are right it is the Mainz near Worms. Thanks for your nice view of our music. I think we will post new stuff here sometimes, as it is always good to hear some feedback.
Darth_Bob
Unregistered

Wow, that sounds completely realistic dude. I liked the second one especially. Nice job.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Orchestral Sound Library? taelmx 2 5,632 Jan 26, 2010 01:46 PM
Last Post: backslash