Fully Loaded Question

ok, I have quite a bit to ask, some that could probably go in other sections but this is mainly the area for it, so lemme get to it.

I recently finished doing my little MeshWorks file conversion/parsing program that converts that format to my own.

1. Does anyone know of any good tutorials about OpenGL? I mean not just source code, cause to me that is only 1/3 of what a tutorial should be. (I am eventually going to by a book on OpenGL, but in the mean time...)

2. Cocoa or carbon for working with OGL? right now I am learning Cocoa and I am liking it quite a lot, but i am unsure about performance issues/overhead of the object oriented approach and if it would make a good API to develop my game in.. I would think a game editor my be better served written in Cocoa and the game in Carbon, but then again I don't know for sure.

3.Since this is my first OpenGL game. (not my first game, I have many many versions of a 2D RPG I was developing but never finished, due to time, lack of art skills and mainly motivation..) I am not sure if I should make an "engine" persay.. or just tailor make my game app to want it needs.

I know the term engine gets thrown around alot but I consider an engine to be something that can be controlled via outside sources, via a console, or a scripting language, something that allows you access to inner workings without having to ever touch the code.. if i create a simple engine backbone and create a simple scripting langauge over it, it could be used for many projects. But I'd like to know from some others personal experience what you think the better way to go is...

4. I am running on empty for game ideas right now... I personally love games of exploration , which is probably why I love 3D RPGS.. but I really don't have the resources to develop that seeing as I am the only programmer and learning as I go...

I was thinking a puzzle game involing planetary systems.. don't what it would entail, have to think about it a lot more.. any ideas for a first project?

if you have suggestion for any of the above questions I'd love to hear em..

thanks,
Hank-

/* Drunk...... fix later.... */
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Quote:Originally posted by Muffinking
1. Does anyone know of any good tutorials about OpenGL? I mean not just source code, cause to me that is only 1/3 of what a tutorial should be. (I am eventually going to by a book on OpenGL, but in the mean time...)

As always, nehe. http://nehe.gamedev.net/ (Cocoa, Carbon, SDL and GLUT versions) — or nehex.idevgames.com for the Carbon versions.

Quote:2. Cocoa or carbon for working with OGL? right now I am learning Cocoa and I am liking it quite a lot, but i am unsure about performance issues/overhead of the object oriented approach and if it would make a good API to develop my game in.. I would think a game editor my be better served written in Cocoa and the game in Carbon, but then again I don't know for sure.

It will be irrelevant. 90-95% of your game will not touch either of these frameworks, so which you choose will have very little impact. I'd personally recommend you start with GLUT or SDL and ignore Cocoa and Carbon for the moment.

Quote:[snip]I am not sure if I should make an "engine" persay.. or just tailor make my game app to want it needs.[/snip]

Always make a game. Once you've made one game and started work on a second and noticed you're doing the same thing you did last time, then you start extracting a library. Only if you're making many games with very similar gameplay (or you're into engine licensing) do you make an "engine", and even then, you make the game first and foremost.

Quote:I was thinking a puzzle game involing planetary systems.. don't what it would entail, have to think about it a lot more.. any ideas for a first project?

Pong. Seriously.

Once you've got Pong down, the world is your oyster Wink

I'd really like to see a new Mortal Pongbat clone, too, BTW Smile
The SGI RedBook

This one is an elusive bugger to find online; even though many sites claim to link or mirror it. Probably _the_ best explanation of what goes on with your basic OpenGL demos.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
Always make a game. Once you've made one game and started work on a second and noticed you're doing the same thing you did last time, then you start extracting a library.

I agree with this totally. Also I learned to write C from the "OpenGL Red Book"(sad but true); although, lately I've been using my new "The C Programming Language" book. Buy the OpenGL Red book if you're seriously thinking about writting a good 3-D/2-D game. The planet game you're talking about sounds very interesting, spheres are very easy to make in OpenGL.

Hope This helps,
Iceman
Speaking of Nehe there's another easier to understand web site that has Cocoa, OpenGL specific tutorials: http://zerobyzero.ca/~ktatters/tutorials/
which is my favorite. Also an idea is maybe making a simple 3-D EV Overide game or something cool like that(watch moons and planets in a solar system revolve around planets and suns etc.) Finally if you want I could quickly whip up some source code to show you how to make a lit sphere in GLUT.

HTH,
Iceman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Animstreet is now fully open. mrbones 0 2,599 Feb 24, 2011 07:05 PM
Last Post: mrbones
  Flipping a texture loaded using QuickTime.. Craig 3 3,270 Nov 17, 2005 08:52 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Cocoa loaded textures have white edges Jake 6 4,002 May 6, 2005 09:17 AM
Last Post: Jake
  Not drawing fully transparent kelvin 9 4,397 Mar 18, 2003 09:32 PM
Last Post: kelvin