OpenAL Gone??

Hi,
Ok so I finally get the internet for my Mac and guess what? The download site for OpenAL is goneBlush. I'm looking for the documentation and the framework for OS X. Also how much of a performance hit will my game take from OpenAL?

Thanks,
Iceman
Quote this message in a reply
Go with fmod Smile OpenAL is slow and harder to use; I think it's a big part of why new games like JK2, Mohaa and UT2k3 are unplayable.

That said, you have to use cvs to download OpenAL, or if that's not possible I could probably just host the version I have now.
Try this link instead. Maybe someone ought to point openal.org in the right direction too! Wink

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Whew! Thank you. I wish Creative Labs would make a silly site map or something. I'll also check out fmod; although, I don't know how easy it will be with Cocoa and OpenGL.

Thanks again,
Iceman

Update: Never mind about fmod it'll cost $4,000.00 dollars!!! All I need it for is a nice little shareware game. That's why everyone uses OpenAL Smile.
Quote:Originally posted by David
Go with fmod Smile OpenAL is slow and harder to use; I think it's a big part of why new games like JK2, Mohaa and UT2k3 are unplayable.

Mohaa uses the Miles Sounds system - not sure about JK2, but it may actually use Id's built-in spacializer.

FMOD would be my choice as well at the moment, though it's license can get sticky (depending on how your software is licensed). OpenAL will get a boost from the OS X UT2k3 port, but I doubt any of that source is available yet, and OS 9 support is buggy at best.
Quote:Originally posted by David

I think UT2003's problems (such as they are) have far more to do with the vast number of polys being shoved around, and the amount of textures being used, and how they are used, rather than anything OpenAL might be doing.

I suspect OpenAL's speed could be trebled, and it would still have a negligible effect on UT2003 performance if your video card can't handle the game's needs.
Mars: In UT2k3 the graphics and physics detail (on my system) have almost no effect on performance. Nor do the number of bots. So what's left? Hm.. Either its the operating system or the sound.

Iceman: For a freeware game, FMOD is free. For a shareware game, it costs $100. For a serious commercial company type of game, you pay $2000. Not sure where you get $4,000 from Rasp
Hmm...must've been something wrong with my web browser, Camino, all the text was jumbled Smile; I copied and pasted the nearest number to Macintosh.........$xxxx.00 in the fmod pricing table. B.T.W. I'm a shareware developer until I have some money to submit a free game for the udevgame contest LOL. I also downloaded the OpenAL SDK..........if I get desperate(which could happen) I'll try to force myself to use fmod Shock.

Thanks again,
Iceman