Game Ideas?

whoever thought we had something in common.
HEHE

Yea what skyhawk said, the entire series!
Quote this message in a reply
ghost
Unregistered

I would like to see a recreation of the game The Big One, for MacOS X. Since it hasn't been finished yet, it would be nice if someone added color, a sound system, and then just recoded it for MacOS X. You can download the original at the below link. I believe that I host the only known copy online. Blink It is an extremely fun game. Even if it doesn't have 3D graphics, it's a game that I play just to kill time.

http://www.fgsoft.net/bigone/

- ghost
Zachary
Unregistered

Do a top-down shooter like doom (except in birds-eye 2D)
dogma
Unregistered

Been talking recently on MaCNN about a football (soccer) game for the Mac. I was thinking of somehow implementing the Quake engine for one - 3D with a decent amount of physics already there (plus I heard that one or two sport games have actually used it before).

I just really don't know where to start. I know it should be FIFA like - not too much micromanagement ala Champ Manager, but it also needs a lot of information - would Quake be able to support a lot of Info screens and changeable team management. (For each team, you would need at least fifteen players, different skins, stats etc. And at least ten teams to make a realistic league. As well as the licensing nightmare that is Football strips and team/player names)

I've downloaded the FIFA rulebook, and is somewhat daunting with all the dimensions involved - but doable - the resources are there. I'm prepared to do the hard work collecting the data, organising it, doing the artwork etc, but getting started with putting it all together into a workable is doubtful, as I have little to no programming skills.
death_himself
Unregistered

Oh, no, please not FIFA like, how about more of ISS Pro? Now thats REAL football, as opposed to being able to take your goaley all the way to the other end of the pitch and make him score...on the hardest mode. Yah, if you're gonnah make a footie game, make it like footie, trying to find open spaces, passing, setting people up, etc.

I like the idea of whoever suggested it, about just making a sandbox game thing.

I'd love to see some sort of game where you start at well, the start of time, for humans at least, and try to make a civilisation...I don't think it would be possible to be made by just one person, but it'd be cool. I mean, you'd be able to interact with many objects, could have an fps view, you could pick up a rock, and throw it, or place it, and pick up other rocks and place them on top of this rock, if others around you thought what you were doing was cool, they'd copy, or you could say, for instance throw this rock at other people, or animals, and then of course they'd decide to thwo back (the humans, not the animals)...I spose each object would have a number of characteristics, so rocks can be thrown, or placed, or hit together, some rocks cause a spark when hit together, well, only flint really. It'd take ages to make though, not really plausable, sorry.
JeremyL
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by ghost
I would like to see a recreation of the game The Big One, for MacOS X. Since it hasn't been finished yet, it would be nice if someone added color, a sound system, and then just recoded it for MacOS X.

The complete version of this game was released under the title Operation Tsunami. It's a cool game.

I'd like to see an F-Zero clone.
dogma
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by death_himself
Oh, no, please not FIFA like, how about more of ISS Pro?

I wasn't really looking to get into the semantics about which arcade style footie game is best - I was using FIFA as an example of that style, and Champ Manager being representative of the DAF kind.

It wouldn't be like any of these games anyway, as I'm not talking about having a fifty strong team with Ronaldo helping with the motion capture - Trying to be a tad more realistic at the moment...
Ninja If your entering uDG2003 than a simple breakout game would be coolNinja
death_himself
Unregistered

Dogma, I didn't think you meant it being a big commercial game. I were thinking 2D ISS Pro...btw, ISS Pro isn't really arcade, fifa is, I mean, you don't trade players in any of them, really, basically, I think ISS Pro is more fun and can be achieved in 2D...basically it all boils down to AI, and I'd much prefer someone spend more time on it than on fancy graphics and so forth (which is why FIFA's AI sucks, they spent all their time making sure all the players were on their correct teams and looked like their real-life counterparts...what a waste of time).
dogma
Unregistered

Death himself, I was thinking that if you were gonna spend time implementing it on 2D, why not do it 3D - with ball movement generally being in 3D, 2D physics wouldn't work so well in my mind - to the game players standpoint more than anything else.

AI is always gonna be tricky - probably the hardest out of any sport simulator. No matter what team you're playing, there's gonna be foul ups. I'm no programmer, but I reckon that is gonna be tough.
death_himself
Unregistered

The AI doesn't neccesarily have to be intelligent, its all to do with what you make it do, if you notice, in ISS, all the AI seems to do, is make sure as many people are marked as possible and that there are little spaces, it spreads itself out, not making much sense.

As for 2D vs 3D ...I were under the impression that its easier to get a great looking 2D game than a great looking 3D game...considering the time constraints, bleurgh.
nickdabner
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by ghost
I would like to see a recreation of the game The Big One, for MacOS X. Since it hasn't been finished yet, it would be nice if someone added color, a sound system, and then just recoded it for MacOS X. You can download the original at the below link. I believe that I host the only known copy online. Blink It is an extremely fun game. Even if it doesn't have 3D graphics, it's a game that I play just to kill time.

http://www.fgsoft.net/bigone/

- ghost

I thought this game was finished when I played it about 6 years ago. I also thought Operations Tsunami was its sequel. It has colour and sound, but was built only a year or two later than TBO.

Nick

[DAMN - someone beat me to the responseSneaky ]

I would have thought a top down sports game would be quick to do. Take the old Atari tennis or football (soccer game), keep some basic gameplay and improve graphics and sound. Fun and very doable. Can I reserve this? Either that or the Atari - Combat game with tanks/planes, etc. Basic, but fun with two players. KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid).
Quote:Originally posted by nickdabner
Take the old Atari tennis or football (soccer game), keep some basic gameplay and improve graphics and sound. Fun and very doable. Can I reserve this? Either that or the Atari - Combat game with tanks/planes, etc. Basic, but fun with two players. KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Why not combine them? Remember the Goodies episode in which The Goodies (representing England) play soccer against Germany (represented by a Panzer)?

Visit http://www.theDailyGrind.net for your recommended daily intake of embittered satire.
Quote:Originally posted by JeremyL

I'd like to see an F-Zero clone.

Heeheeheeheeheehee... Ninja
CaptKevMan
Unregistered

I was just thinking that a puzzle game like Pipe Dream would be cool as a multiplayer game.

Each player would have his/her own color pipes, and would compete with the other player to complete his/her pipeline before the clock runs out. Along the way, though, there would be pipe sections with both colors that come up in sequence, so each player has a chance to sabotage his/her opponent while trying to complete his/her line.

I dunno...whaddya think? If anyone wants to run with the concept, go right ahead. Just give me a nod, please. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Game Ideas? Le Muck 18 14,472 Dec 20, 2009 12:58 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Game Ideas: Your Thoughts Man With No Name 16 8,497 Mar 10, 2008 08:15 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Game ideas muffins91 6 4,729 Aug 2, 2007 07:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Searching game ideas Iceman 7 5,293 Aug 27, 2005 04:13 PM
Last Post: unknown
  Spaceships strategy game ideas Achenar 1 3,843 Jun 26, 2005 02:18 AM