Game Ideas?

Nibbie
Anyone got some extra ideas for games? I'm running low on (practical)inspiration...

If you post an idea that you don't want anyone else to use please say so, otherwise someone might use it before you and that wouldn't be much fun...

So if you have any ideas kickin' around please post them, as I want to make something and am out of ideas.
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
Hmm... A RPG? nah.. I'm doing one. Maybe a space shooter EVN/Diemos Rising crossover?
Nibbie
I like that idea, I'm working in 3D, but I want to make a 2D game, how would I handle things like collision detection, assuming the ships are textures on planes...
How about a good classic adventure-type game like "ShadowGate/DÈJaVu series" or a 2-d gun slinger.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Nibbie
I don't know those games? What are they like?

I came late to computers, in fourth grade I got a quadra, so I don't know a lot of the old games...
Quote:Originally posted by whogben
I like that idea, I'm working in 3D, but I want to make a 2D game, how would I handle things like collision detection, assuming the ships are textures on planes...

classic circle based collision will be your best bet. You sound new in collision detection so I suggest you search up old collision detection thread in either the game programming or general programming section
the trick to do a new (arcade) game is start with a clear mind: empty space... then, an object... the sprite you control... second question: is there gravity or can he move in all directions as a space ship? what other forces act on his movement? how to controll it? THird question: only one thing to ontrol or more, maybe mose- keybord... then... how is the space around him like: empty? solid objects around? Can your sprite move? how? jumpin, running, sliding as a snake... or is he controlled by the mouse? Then: other moving things? yes, no? subject to strengths?...

free your mind Cool
ShadowGate/DÈJaVu series

These games are based on an interconnection of rooms visually represented as one screen at a time. A user interacts with different rooms by picking up items from one room and using them in another. The user must Examine different items/elements of a room. This provides the user with a hint as to what item they need or what they need to do. They game is basically one big puzzle.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
mkeC
Unregistered

Im thinking about a game that is a combination fighter/scroller/platform game where one minite its donkey kong and then when you encounter an opponent you zoom in for a Street fighter style fight. If you win you can go on and if not you get chased back until you can escape/recover somehow by dodging traps. I bet most of this already exists and just needs to be linked together.
If you're really not busy, how about helping me out in writing an editor for my slideshow program? Right now you have to open each slide in a text editor.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Feanor
Unregistered

I recommend that you build something that is not a game, but that can be turned into a game later: a virtual toy. You can create some simple environments and simple creatures to live in it, and an avatar that the player can move around. Just pick some features randomly and try stuff out. It would be a like a game play ground. And you'd have total freedom to come up with some wacky concepts, instead of trying to re-hash everything that's been done before.

Or, you can put development aside and read a book, either a technical, design, or fiction book -- lots of inspiration to be had there. I'm reading the new Earnest Adams book, myself, as well as the Dune series. Dune makes me think of all the things that are impossible to do in games right now. Fortunately we have novels to do them anyway.

Here's a bare bones idea: a game about an undertaker. Six Feet Under is a great show about "funeral directors" -- maybe someone could make a completely unrelated game about running a funeral home: getting "clients", prepping them, and burying them. If you run the cemetery you would have thwart grave robbers.

Then again, how about a grave robber game? Quite a bit grittier than tomb raider. Dig up graves, and steal valuables off bodies. Fun!
Nibbie
as for inspiration I read HMS Ulysses last night. It was an incredible book and inspiration which I am trying to cope with and understand as it might relate to making an game. How about a game not as an undertaker, but THE undertaker, death himself(or herself) I am not sure what the gameplay would be, something spooky abut not glorified, perhaps like lemmings guiding souls in theri different paths after they die. Perhaps there would be mutinies on the boat crossing the river styx (I see the HMS Ulysses has inspired me a tad) and you would have to fight back the souls trying to escape, perhaps souls would escape to the physical world, and you could pursue them through walls around citys and such trying to keep the exposure to the living to a minimum. Perhaps even a holy war would be erupting, lesser beings ont he netherworld emerging and gathering armies, fighting for your position as DEATH. The battles could spill into the world of the living, there is cool potential for inahbiting the bodys of people and animals and carrying on a terrible fight where each time your host was killed their sould could be tagged and join sides in the brawl, I imagine drifting through walls in search of your prey, sneaking up behind or below them in a sewer and then diving up and after a brief metaphysical struggle, enveloping them and recharging your energies, thanks for the inspiration Feanor, I liket his idea now and perhaps will try it!(or a simpler version)
Funny you should mention that.
I've been trying to think of a good game to represent my friends for awhile now
Westgate

Run with this idea.

I must say, the simUndertaker game idea is hilarious, a whole add on pack. There are already lots of "goth" mods that could be perfect for his clientele.

undertaker hot date....ha

Anyway you've found your game...maybe call it:
Darker Shades Ninja
a dark comical remake of Black Shades
only you have to go pick up the souls as people
get bumped off by the gunmen in the game.

Ah, if your going with this idea, I suggest you read
On A Pale Horse, by Piers Anthony

What else could you do as death.
Hmm a take on Frogger, ha
only you try to contact the cars,
and you could have fantastic accident scenes.

simUNDEAD, like the Sims only with zombies, "Hell has no room" and you travel about activating armies of corpses.
Ha, I have a test level that randomly produces about 20 zombies and 20 bob gunman just randomly doing stuff...Maybe I should clean that level up so it actually runs without eating the computers brain. simUNDEAD has potential.
OT: is On a Pale Horse any good? I'm a Piers fan and I actually have Pale Horse somewhere at my house, but I never got into it like others like the Mode series or the Adept series or Killobyte or... ahem, anyway, so are you saying you reccomend Pale Horse, igame3D? Smile
Quote:Originally posted by DaFalcon
OT: is On a Pale Horse any good? I'm a Piers fan and I actually have Pale Horse somewhere at my house, but I never got into it like others like the Mode series or the Adept series or Killobyte or... ahem, anyway, so are you saying you reccomend Pale Horse, igame3D? Smile

I recomend the entire series!!! GOD I love Piers Anthony's work. Especially that one.
Get all 7. the order is:
Death
Time(very trippy)
Life/Tapestry
War
Nature(The Llano!)
Evil/Satan
Good/God

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Game Ideas? Le Muck 18 15,040 Dec 20, 2009 12:58 PM