Critique bubble sprites

Max
[Image: bubbles.jpg]

I'd like to know what you think of these bubble sprites. I tried to create anime-style graphics; great colors and lighting effects, like those big japanese-cartoon eyes full of sparkles. Hehe. Anyway, if you have suggestions on how to make them better, please let me know. Here's how I made them in Photoshop:

flat color circle (overall bubble)
-add layer effect inner shadow (for dark crescent shape)
-add layer effect inner glow (for light outline)
-add layer effect bevel and emboss (for light effect top left and bottom right)
flat white oval on top with a slight blur (spotlight)
a white circular gradient on a layer with color dodge effect (bottom glow)
another, much smaller, white circular gradient (bottom spotlight)

Good way to do a bubble?

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Quote this message in a reply
I like them a lot. Maybe you could add another, smaller, white reflection to the bottom right.

They could also look good as globs of slime.
Oldtimer
Yeah, they're super-nifty! Grin

The only thing I'd try is to make the bright "border" on the inside of them dark instead. (The line between the saturated center color and the dark outline).

But that's really just an experiment, I really don't know. Smile Keep it up!
Founder
>The only thing I'd try is to make the bright "border" on the inside of them dark instead. (The
>line between the saturated center color and the dark outline).
Yes, this is what I was thinking.

What do you plan to use them for? Your own game or just doing tests? If you don't plan to use them for anything, send us a batch (with Alpha channel). Would make good game assets. Put some little eys on them and we have puyo-puyo like blobs.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Nibbie
If they are non malevolant, happy sprites I would recomend:
Lightening up the green and make it a touch more blue
Lightening up the red and make it a touch more orange

looks good!
Max
Thanks for all your feedback! Sorry Carlos, the bubbles are for McSebi's next game. (Hint: check my signature) Hehe. Anyway, I'll see what I can do about those bubbles... and the 60 other ones I must do. Wacko

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Founder
BTW, did you know we have PS brushes of bubbles here?

Also, could you post a little more clearer step by step on the bubbles in PS?. Smile

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Nibbie
Or post a action.
From my experience on creating icons, you want to take of those "jaggies" (the black outline) Use different colors and gradients or shades in certain spots and the jagged-ness will disappear.
Max
Actually, the aliasing (or "jagged edges") is intentional and will most likely remain there. It gives the game a nice "retro" look. Also, other sprites in the game do not support 8-bit masks (don't ask me why, McSebi works in a strange way) so I'm using aliasing for all.

I wish I could post a better "step by step" on the sprite, unfortunately I don't remember all of the steps. I made like 20 different versions of the bubble sprite in 2 days... trying all kinds of effects. I also use another app, Illustrator, to create complex shades that can't be done in Photoshop.

Founder
Quote:I wish I could post a better "step by step" on the sprite, unfortunately I don't remember all of the steps. I made like 20 different versions of the bubble sprite in 2 days... trying all kinds of effects. I also use another app, Illustrator, to create complex shades that can't be done in Photoshop.

Transaltion --> I'll never reveal my magic tricks to the likes of you all!

LOL

I know what you are saying... After your post, I went to PS and tried my hand, and soon found myself making a ton of "knobs." If someone asked me how I made them, I wouldn't be able to explain.. :?:

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Max
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
Transaltion --> I'll never reveal my magic tricks to the likes of you all!

I wish I had magic tricks! Wink
I doubt what I do, or how I do it, would help you. I'm just an amateur. Really. Proof: I can't even explain to you how I did the bubble! Rasp

I really like the sprites but I would like to see them in a gaming environment. Out of context it could be said that they look great or they like crappy, it all depends on the environment. I like what i see though (I guess that nullified what i said earlier, but still try to listen to that to)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Game Music Demo - Pls Critique andybrick 9 5,978 May 13, 2003 07:04 AM
Last Post: Bachus
  critique my music please! devildog 26 10,301 May 12, 2003 03:37 AM
Last Post: Greg Gant
  portfolio graphic critique Shivers 13 8,117 Apr 13, 2003 12:28 AM
Last Post: indi-mac