Wings3D and StrataPro

Founder
Thought I would post this image here. It is by Chris Tyler, a respected artist who uses Strata StudioPro. He is a guru at using radiosity (spell?) What makes this image interesting (besides the shaders) is that the models were created in Wings3D and then rendered in Strata. Strata's modeling tools have been somewhat left behind more modern programs, but the renderer is still pretty darn good. Chris really knows how to squueze the most out of it. He recently gave a lecture on using the two programs in Utah.

[Image: 124941820031390.jpg]

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Love

Damn. That makes me feel about this "." small.
Founder
Ya, I know what you mean. Look at the caustics from the light passing through the diamonds. Also, look at the bevel on the ring model. That is an area where you can always tell good artists from basic ones. Basic people have very sharp corners on all their objects, while masters will place some sort of bevel on objects. If you look around, even the objects in your room that seem to be "sharp" or should I say, without a bevel, have one.

Since he uses Radiosity, I wonder how long it took to render? I've seen tricks where people use ray-tracing, and set up a ring of lights around the object to get that Radiosity look. I think Chris does something like turning off all lights, and using the objects glow setting to light the scene. He has some tutorials on it some place.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
:ohmy: ::jawdrop::

That picture is just superb. Flat out superb.

Somebody get this guy a real website (.mac?) (instead of a geocities account): http://www.geocities.com/soho/nook/4463/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wings3D only creating .bmp texture files WhatMeWorry 1 3,328 Jan 18, 2006 03:51 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Wings3D Alexander Smith 3 3,862 Nov 1, 2005 06:03 PM
Last Post: teh1ghool