OpenGL vs DirectX

warvstar
Unregistered

Ok, heres a good question i want to ask.

OpenGL is the only thing i can get to work with Borland C++ ComandLineTools,
So i want to know if i make a Model in milkshape and use it in a OpenGL program, will the quality of the model stay the same, or will it lose quality?
Quote:Originally posted by warvstar
Ok, heres a good question i want to ask.

OpenGL is the only thing i can get to work with Borland C++ ComandLineTools,
So i want to know if i make a Model in milkshape and use it in a OpenGL program, will the quality of the model stay the same, or will it lose quality?

the use of loose and not lose has been annoying me lately. Anyways, Nehe has a tutorial on using milkshape models (don't remember exactly what number) and the model will look like exactly what you program it to look like. A model is a model, your world only looks the way it does because of how you perceive light. Thus, your model will only look how you make the user using the program perceive light (see difference between DOOM 3 and Quake 3, the quality lies in the lighting..... among many many other things)
>>I dont want to spend money on something i dont know much about,
While this is wise, most people just don't spend money because they fear change. People REALLY fear change.

>>I spent 11 years on the PC, so i want to see some good things about mac, Before i buy.
Warcraft3, diablo2, MOO3, DOOM3, Radeon9700, upcoming PPC970, devs who know more about their system than possibly anyone else Grin

>>And ohyea, i also like to argue "Like whats so bad about a good argument?, it always brings out the best".
depends if it is a good argument, as in you are arguing to know more, or if you are arguing to win. If you argue to win, then you chances of ever learning something are nil.
Luminary
I don't think you were listening, Warvstar.

OpenGL and Direct3D expose the same features of the hardware. That means that if an image can be created in one, it can be created in the other. If there's an exception to this rule, it's that OpenGL will often get new features first, due to vendor extensions.

NVidia does support OpenGL on Windows, in fact they prefer supporting OpenGL to Direct3D simply because they can create extensions that expose new features of their hardware without waiting for Microsoft to release a new version of the API.

We've also given examples of games which use OpenGL and which look as good as or better than Direct3D games.

At this point, it looks very much like you're trying to start a flame war. If that happens, this thread will have to be closed.
Mars_999
Unregistered

I think so to OSC. How many times do you have to repeat DOOM3 DOOM3 and how about DOOM3! No DOOM3 uses Direct3D! That's why it looks so good. IMO I think graphics look better on a Mac than a PC. I have both and I perfer the graphics on my Mac over the PC. Both have ATI cards.
warvstar
Unregistered

Ok,

Sorry about the bad spelling earlier, and when i said argument i never ment to win, just to get out the best.

And about the NeHe stuff, thats a awesome site, but the turtorials are only for Visual C++ and stuff, i have Borland C++.
⌘-R in Chief
While a complete proprietary solution can get the best performance, it simply can't compare to the standardization, portability, and widespread use of an open standard.
Patrick
Unregistered

And about the NeHe stuff, thats a awesome site, but the turtorials are only for Visual C++ and stuff, i have Borland C++.

NeHe tutorials will work with Borland C++ builder. if you look at the bottom of each tutorial page there are like 20 links to different versions..one of them is for c++ builder 6.
warvstar
Unregistered

Sorry about that, I dont have Builder.

I have C++ Free Command Line Tools, So it doesent have the right Libraries.
warvstar
Unregistered

I like the PC but i have seen some nice Mac Reviews, for instant a 1ghz Mac vs 2.4ghz PC. The Mac Won! on Animation.

But if the Mac is so good then why do more homeusers own a PC?, Instinct?.

ps. I do like the Mac, its awesome.
macboy
Unregistered

But if the Mac is so good then why do more homeusers own a PC?, Instinct?
I'm not here to spend hours speculating on this but mostly it's because Apple isn't very good at promoting themselves all the time and now that they've fallen behind, it's a lot harder to catch up.

BTW, If you do switch to the Mac, you can download FREE development tools made and supported by Apple.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

<RANT>
One thing I don't like about MS is how they just want to control everyone. they want everyone to use their OS, their game systems, their gamepads, their wireless networking solutions, their software development environment, their computers, their web browser, their ISP, their media viewer, their movie making software (Windows Movie Maker sucks compared to Apple's rocking iMovie, their graphics technologies, their games, and on and on. Bill just wants to RULE, RULE, RULE! He wants to control the minds and wallets of the whole world.

I prefer OpenGL over Direct3D though. I had a baaaad experience with D3D when I was on the PC and ever since then I've loved GL. Anyway, I hope OpenGL 2.0 will kill DX 8.0.

macboy: Apple REALLY needs to make a good advertising campaign. Apple banner ads should be on sites like DealTime, PriceGrabber, CNN, Ebay, PC World, Time etc. Commercials should be good and agressive like MS's. I mean, remember when XP came out? Good Lord, they had ads everywhere. Circuit City, Best Buy, on TV, on the radio, in magazines, etc. Apple had NOTHING!!!! That just plain sucked. Apple also made a bad move by taking all macs and mac software and games outta stores. Now I have to go to CompUSA, the Apple Store, and lil small "non nationwide chain" computer stores just to get that stuff. The nearest Apple Store is in Atlanta (whoops, gave away my location), well, I think there's one in Tennesee. I know there's one in Florida. Damn, I just said where I live. Smile Anway, more PC games need to come to the mac also. PC game developers should start making Mac games in the same boxes as PC games, so we don't have to wait months for them to come here. Blizzard did it just fine with Warcraft 3. PC gdevs who use DX to make their games should at least make Mac and PC version in the same box using MacDX (http://www.coderus.com). Same thing with software, I have to pay extra money to get the PC version of some software I own on my Mac. Now I do like the Mac over the PC though. They'll have to pry my iMac out of my cold dead hands if the Wintel world ever succeeds over the Mac.
</RANT>
Quote:Originally posted by AJ Infinity
Anyway, I hope OpenGL 2.0 will kill DX 8.0.

I sure hope so!!!!!! DX8 is rather old... I want OGL 2 to whoop DX9... whether that is possible... well... if anything it will make hardware feature realization easier.
warvstar
Unregistered

Hey AJ Infinity, i think the same, and Windows Movie Maker SUCKS. But i do like Microsoft Bill gates is so cool, im trying to start something big. bye
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Directx &amp; Sdl coder 6 3,312 Aug 21, 2007 03:11 PM
Last Post: Duane