OpenGL vs DirectX

warvstar
Unregistered

Hey, i havent used the Mac yet, so i dont know if it has DirectX Support, but i know it has opengl.

My problem with OpenGL is that the graphics seem to suck on every game made with it, and every game i see made with directx seems to have awsome graphics.

Example for DirectX: Warcraft 3

If you can prove me wrong, then please do. i would like it if i could find a good opengl program.
Luminary
DirectX is only available on Windows.

Warcraft III uses OpenGL on the Mac, and looks the same as the Direct3D version. Quake III Arena and DOOM 3 both use OpenGL. Unreal Tournament 2003 uses OpenGL on the Mac and on Linux, and AFAIK looks the same as the Direct3D version.

You can't compare OpenGL to DirectX, only to Direct3D. They both expose similar functionality from the video card, though OpenGL usually exposes new features sooner than Direct3D does in the PC world.

This is really a flame war topic, and different people feel strongly both ways. All I can say is that the people I've talked to who've used both OpenGL and Direct3D prefer programming in OpenGL, and that I found OpenGL very easy to learn.

The other components of DirectX (DirectInput, DirectSound, DirectDraw, &c) unfortunately don't really have equivalents on the Mac, though supposedly the HID manager is quite like DirectInput, and CoreAudio seems to have a fairly "usual" API design...
Mars_999
Unregistered

I have programmed on a PC and have looked at using DirectX and it sucks. I decided to use OpenGL instead. Why? I hate the cryptic naming convention M$$ uses on all their code. Yuck. OpenGL looks like C. So it is easier to pickup on. DirectX has one nice thing going for it and that is the all in one API. But that is not really a problem due to their are many good API running around the net you can use. FMOD is one for sound, OpenAL, SDL is good to for a cross platform all in one API. But than again OpenGL and Direct3D is a flamewar waiting to happen.
Quote:Originally posted by warvstar
My problem with OpenGL is that the graphics seem to suck on every game made with it, and every game i see made with directx seems to have awsome graphics.

This has nothing to do with the OpenGL vs Direct3D, the quality of graphics/game is dependant on the talent of the programmers/artists and everyone else involved. It's like comparing a Derwent pencil to a Faber Castel, quality is in the hand of the artist.
DCoder
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
DirectX is only available on Windows.

True, but I recently came across MacDX, which appears to be API compatible.

From their website:

Quote:MacDX allows software/porting houses to bring DirectXÆ based products to the Mac OS platform rapidly and cost effectively by providing the DirectXÆ interfaces and functionality so that the product runs just as it would on a PC.

Hehe, no pricing listed on their site -- perhaps that isn't such a good thing. Grin

HTH,
-daniel
Luminary
... and whilst we're into technicalities, there's WineX (or even just Wine) for Linux...
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie

This is really a flame war topic

Yes it is, and I was tempted to shut this down the second I saw it, although I will not. I will let somone else smack it. *grumbles about PC users not reading about this being a MAC GAME DEVLOPMENT SITE!* Mad

note to carlos, on the front page, in 12 inch letters, write MAC GAME DEVELOPMENT
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
note to carlos, on the front page, in 12 inch letters, write MAC GAME DEVELOPMENT
Try maximum internet font size ... then maybe they'll figure it out Shock
Luminary
If you read Warvstar's post(s), you'll see that he was well aware that this was a Mac forum. Maybe he was trying to start a flame war, maybe it was a genuine question, but either way, there's no need to be rude about it. Maybe if we're nice enough he'll buy a Mac Smile
Founder
Ok, OSC spoke for me. If warvstar is trying to learn about the Mac, and how to do cross-platform work, then he is welcomed here. If he is just trying to stir up the bee hive, then that is different. But let us wait on him before setting a verdict. Otherwise, Mac devs come off as snobs. Anyhow, warvstar, OpenGL is a tech that moves forward by commitee, while DirectX (or Direct3D in this case) is promoted/developed by Microsoft. I think the commitee way of doing things has ups and downs. Direct3D games when they come to the Mac must either be moved over to OpenGL, or use that Direct3D plugin/SDK or whatever it is called. I recall a few games are using it, but for the most part, OpenGL is what people are using here.

BTW, please post in the "correct" message board. Again, I have to move your message.

BTW#2, Our front page says "Macintosh Games Begin Here!" I thought that is pretty straightforward. Should I do a browser/platform check and automatically move PC-based browsers over to GameDev.net. Huh

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by warvstar

If your comparing OpenGL and DirectX on the same PC it might possibly be that your graphics card drivers "suck" at doing OpenGL properly - what harware / drivers are you using ?

It should also be noted that some games that support more than one way to do graphics (glide, OpenGL, DirectX) may be optimized for just one of these graphics APIs.
DirectX is currently more advanced than OpenGL; OpenGL 2.0 should close the gap but it's not here yet. GL still has the vendor extensions to fall back on, but that makes development more difficult than it should be since each card has varying ways of accomplishing the same thing.

As for the "OpenGL games look sucky" issue, are you aware that Doom 3 uses OpenGL? Rasp
warvstar
Unregistered

My Work Computer Specs:

CPU: 2ghz Overclocked 2.4+ghz
RAM: 512 - "I know kinda small number, ill upgrade soon."
Video: Nvidia Gforce 4 - 64mb - "I hope to upgrade this to Gf-FX 128."

Hmmm..... i think its because maybe nvidia dosent support OpenGL?.

But Seriosly i have saw awsome games on here with directx and they look awsome, but OpenGL looks very bad on my system.
warvstar
Unregistered

Ok, im not trying to stir up a beehive, i just want to see Mac compared to the PC.

I dont want to spend money on something i dont know much about,
I spent 11 years on the PC, so i want to see some good things about mac,
Before i buy.

And ohyea, i also like to argue "Like whats so bad about a good argument?, it always brings out the best".

Anyway since i see you dont want me to stress out the mac users, ill just stay on the topic, i want to see the Difference Between OpenGL vs DirectX Compared. Bye
warvstar
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by monteboyd
This has nothing to do with the OpenGL vs Direct3D, the quality of graphics/game is dependant on the talent of the programmers/artists and everyone else involved. It's like comparing a Derwent pencil to a Faber Castel, quality is in the hand of the artist.

So are you saying people are more talented with DirectX or just that ive only compared, a sucky game to a good game?
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Directx & Sdl coder 6 3,351 Aug 21, 2007 03:11 PM
Last Post: Duane