load times

Soul Reaver 1 and 2 on the Playstation 1 and 2 streamed from the disc while playing. After the initial load the entire game is seamless and it really adds to the immersion in the game world.

I would argue for the Jak and Daxter method (haven't played it myself). Try to load the next bit as the player is moving and if they get ahead of you, make them stop to check their backpack or something. That may be a little intrusive, but way less intrusive than a loading screen.
Quote this message in a reply
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Super Metroid Prime uses background loading to create seamless beautiful worlds. No load times, PERIOD. No levels. Just the one big world of Tallon IV (<ot>morph ball is fun to use in 3D Smile</ot>)
Quote:Super Metroid Prime uses background loading to create seamless beautiful worlds. No load times, PERIOD. No levels.

It probably does. However, from my perspective, it seems like it may also use the elevator loading trick when moving between sectors, similiar to Metal Gear Solid.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Oldtimer
Quote:t seems like it may also use the elevator loading trick when moving between sectors

It's funny that they actually do a very blunt and intrusive loading trick - no animations, no nothing. When you open a door, the game just doesn't open the door until the next room is loaded. It makes you wait. Smile

This is very evident in the door that leads to the Artifact Temple on Tallon Overworld. When you open it, it loads the huge scenery behind it, and that door actually takes something like forever to open. However, when you go back, it opens instantaneously(sp?), since the corridor on the other side is rather small.

I like this trick, because I didn't notice for a very long time. It's almost rude in it's obviousness. Wink

--

On a second note, Resident Evil Zero (and possibly the other RE games on the GC) does its loading in the worst possible way. You know the style - each time you open a door or go up a flight of stairs, you get to see a very slow animation of the door opening, or the stairs passing below you. This was used on the PS1 to hide load times, and each animation is about four seconds long. (And they come often, each time you enter a room or exit one.) Now, on the GC, the load times are much shorter, but they've chosen to stick with the animations. When you open a door, the GC read like hell from the disc for 1-1.5 seconds, and then it just sits there, waiting for 3-4 more seconds of mind-numbing animation. Very annoying, as you often run through a lot of rooms, just to pass them. Then, for each room, you see about eight seconds of door-animations, and spend about 2-3 seconds in the room.

Clearly not the way to go.
With the Resident Evil games the creaky door opening tended to make me more tense and nervous about what awaits me in the next room. The whole series of RE literally makes me jump. For a more nervous player like myself the door opening kind of set-up suspense. I still have to play RE Zero.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
w_reade
Unregistered

Was it RE2 where one door opened and there was a zombie right there! two of them!!? Literally, just behind the door; you end up back in the room you started in with the zombies trying to eat your face, in that charming way they have.

Perhaps not surprisingly, your avatar won't try to open it again Wink.

Anyway, I thought it was a nice unexpected twist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mac + D&amp;D = GOOD TIMES BlueAvian 14 5,457 Sep 3, 2003 09:33 PM
Last Post: geezusfreeek