New game assets coming

Founder
Hi all, just wanted to say after a long vacation, I will soon finish up on some game assets. They are 256x256 patterns. For use in OpenGL games, 3d modelers as textures, or simply as 2d backgrounds.

I'm also hard at work in converting 600MB worth of sounds into something useful. (Takes lots of time to categorize them, clean them up, and loop 'em.)

Speaking of which, I am wondering if I should convert all sound assets over to MP4? The file savings is great I hear and the quality very good. I need QT Pro or iTunes 4 for this right? If I go this route, for people without the above, what do they need to bring the sounds back to AIFF? BTW, our AIFF sounds are not compressed in any way. When saving sounds, there are various options for compression. If you know an article that explains the various codecs, please send me the link.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
macboy
Unregistered

I don't have a link, but if they have a QT version that supports MP4 (even if just for reading it) and Sound Studio, they can easily convert to AIFF or WAVE or some other popular format.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Carlos if you would please post a name of all the new assets you post. This would help eliminate having to sort through the downloads directory. Thanks and I can't wait to see the new art work!
Founder
When they are posted, they go in the list of new files on the front page.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Mars_999
Unregistered

Ok, gotcha. Thanks
Founder
I'm up to 242 textures so far. I might hit 300. Here are some examples..
grass, trees, bushes, skins, some zombie/gory flesh, brickwalls, tiles, fur, and much much more. Also a bunch called CandyWorld, which are very lickable. I'd like to see them as backgrounds for some platform or 2d game.

Back to work....

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Use MP3s instead of MP4, because not everyone has QT6, and its not a good idea to release a game that 50% of users have to download a 20 meg update. MP3 is almost as good, and 99.9% of computers can play it.
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Jake
Use MP3s instead of MP4, because not everyone has QT6, and its not a good idea to release a game that 50% of users have to download a 20 meg update. MP3 is almost as good, and 99.9% of computers can play it.
99.9% of QT users will eventually download QT6 anyways Bored And websites are all about space and bandwidth, you, being a website owner, should know that.
Mars_999
Unregistered

How about .ogg files?
Luminary
Many people will never download a QuickTime update. The internet-connected software-update-savvy willing-to-wait-around-on-56k crowd is few...

What I think would be best is "lowest common denominator" (ie MP3) downloads easily available, and high-quality (WAV or AIFF) available on when quality becomse an issue.
Nibbie
Great! Um how do I submit assets? I'v had 50 heigh quality rendered trees and rocks sitting on my HD for sooooo loooonnnng.
Founder
Joseph, send them to me...

As for MP3 vs MP4, seems that I am hearing conflicting info from Mac sites. Maybe I need to go to my go-to guy on this.

OSC, your advice makes sense. But if I can save some file space, and thus download times, I think it worth it. I would stick to AIFF and use come compression codec if I got some good advice. Or did my own experiments, but I lack the time for that. Still, if I go MP3 with the highest setting, it still gives me a very good savings in file space over MP3.

BTW, I got to almost 300 textures!!! How is that for devotion!!?!?

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Greg Gant
Unregistered

Well here's my word on AAC... AAC is great for low bit but falls off at higher bit rates vs MP3. Just know that that AAC loses its edge drastically after 128 kbps. Its sorta like comparing MP3 to MP2. MP2 is great a higher bit rates but MP3s extra layer of compression favors lower bit rates.

If you want me to elaborate, I can go on for days on this.
Founder
Greg, just give me your summary on what I should do. We have 3 types of sounds here...

1. Sounds which are not for looping. 16bit, mono, 48kHz Most are short, some are a bit long, but nothing over 300kB overall
2. Short 2 bar or so loop sounds. Same specs as the above
3. Although we don't have many full-length music tracks, at some point I will pop them out too.

I figure when a dev downloads a sound, they may keep it in the format we saved it in, or convert it to something else to match their needs. So, we of course want to offer the highest quality sound, yet keep the file size down as much as possible.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Perhaps quickly rip out the whole batch as MP3 for previewing, and they will be ready for use for those that prefere Mp3. Then if we need the AIFF we can contact you and make a request for a list of higher quality files.

.ogg files rule, but I personally prefer to edit any assets I get before actually putting them to use, so keep the AIFF's handy. Like using clip art, it just has to go through Photoshop to feel like its mine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Primitives coming soon awilson1979 6 4,819 Jun 2, 2009 10:10 AM
Last Post: slbailey617
  Preference for our game assets Carlos Camacho 33 15,829 Jun 28, 2002 06:49 AM
Last Post: griffin239