New game assets coming

Founder
Quote:Then if we need the AIFF we can contact you and make a request for a list of higher quality files.
You ARE joking right? You know that I would spend my whole day looking for files and sending them to people, right? Come on think!
Wacko

People did ask for low-quality previews of sounds all in one MP3. I thought about it, but...
a.) I'm too lazy to make mp3 of a set of sounds
b.) I'm too lazy to make mp3 of a set of sounds
c.) people need to move to places with cheap broadband
d.) why waste more space on previews?

I have started thought to make previews for graphic downloads. So I have met you all half way on this. Smile

Anyhow, I'll do some sound tests and decide on this later. Right now, I want to ginish these textures.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Greg Gant
Unregistered

Carlos here's the rule of thumb for MP3 vs AAC

AAC for < 192 kbps, and Mp3 for > 192 kbps

AAC to sound better at lower bit rates cuts off sound drastically above 16 Khz since shorter wave lengths are harder to replicate (more detail) at lower bit rates. Once MP3 gets the sufficient amount of bandwidth to properly construct the detail, it gains the edge.
AAC is better than MP3 for quality and file size, but not everyone has and will get QT 6. I know most people here will, but consider the average mac user.

AIFF is overkill, most people can't tell the difference between 192kbps MP3 and AIFF, especially when its a 1 second sound effect.
Founder
OK, so I will shoot for MP3 at 192 as you guys recommend. Hopefully that will reduce those AIFF files down. I'm thinking that at some point, if I offer a CD with tons of game assets, to include high-quality AIFF versions. But for downloads here, MP3 makes sense.

OT... I just bought a Japanese magazine titled "Make RPG games!" It covers the various tools for making RPGs. I think all of them are PC only though Sad I was surprised that there were so many! The magazine also covers making sprites and has lots of tile-sets. I'm checking into whether they are public domain. Smile

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Carlos, how are those sounds coming along?

Do you have any archives of music? That would be really, really handy for me now.

Visit http://www.theDailyGrind.net for your recommended daily intake of embittered satire.
Greg Gant
Unregistered

Y'know, it'd be neat to see a cheap CD filed with tons of game resources for amatuer game developers geared towards the Mac.
Or even just to see them all on the site. I tend to download them all anyway, and have a huge "resources" folder I raid as I develop.

For me, assets are the most important things iDevGames provides. That's the really hard thing for a lone-wolf developer, as we can't be expert composers, artists and coders all at once.

Visit http://www.theDailyGrind.net for your recommended daily intake of embittered satire.
Eventually you will see these things.
Torque engine already has a CD full of Torque savvy assets available. I believe Coldstone's website has a bunch of assets available. iGame3D small download has 137 textures. And there is that arifeldman.com banner at the top of the page right now.
Founder
>How are those sound coming?
Yeah, I have four folders on my desktop, each one around 700MB. I call them Sound1, Sound2, Sound3, and Sound4. What I find is that I get a sound, play with it for 10 minutes, and soon I have 7 new sounds from that source sound. Sounds good but it is like the people who never finish making their games!

And I still owe the site those textures which I mentioned in the first post. I got a lot of 'em, now I need to convert over to PNG, stuff-it and upload them. Too much to do Sad

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
Ok, I have uploaded the first set in my new texture line.

http://www.idevgames.com/content/download.php?id=447

"Wall & Floor"

Before I uload the other dozen or so, I'll like to get feedback on the "actual download." (ie not the textures themselves.)

When you uncompressed the file and opened the folder, did you see 5 icons?
----
License.pdf
Carlos Camacho
camacho@idevgames.com
Textures
http://www.idevgames.com
----

How did the PDF license look for people who are using Mac OS 9?

I set up the folder under Mac OS X, so I am not sure if the folder and contests "looks good" under Mac OS 9. (ie position of icons, etc)

I have an address card called "Carlos Camacho." For those that use Apple's address program, were you able to add my card to your address book?

Other two icons for "www.idevgames.com" (URL link) and "camacho@idevgames.com" (email link) look very much like M$ style icons. If I recall, another icon exists on Mac OS X for such things. It is a round gray circle with an "@" mark which is connected to a spring. No what I mean? Can't seem to find that icon. Anyone able to send them to me?

Ok, last point IS about the textures. I used an iMac LCD and so the gamma may not be great. Let me know if they are too dark.

As soon as I get the "presentation" of the icons, etc down I will start to upload the rest of the texture sets.
Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
Well, I managed to get the right VCard and URL link (thanks to the new address book and Safari)

Though now that I am home and on Jaguar, I see the icons have changed to the correct "looking" ones. A las, the positions of my icons did not get saved.

Tips? I recall a utility someone made here to drag and drop a folder, and the icon positions would be set for 9 and X.

I was also able to check the gamma setting at home on my CRT and they all look fine. whew!

After I get back from my business trip, I can start to upload the other textures. My favorite set will be "Horror Textures."

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
You are looking for iConan to solve your icon dilema,
Tobi made it.
Do you have it in the resources?

I thought you did. I can't find it.
If I do I'll let you know.

Textures look good, tried them all out this morning.
Founder
Yeah, iConan is it!

I thought we had it here, but I did a search and nothing.

I thought he was still beta testing it? Can you help out?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
What do you know the only back up I have of it was sitting on a cd on my desk...well in a pile of other cd's but it was there.

now its at the filesharing link in my signature.

You should host it here.
Although by next year OS 9 should be a non issue.
Founder
Thanks!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Primitives coming soon awilson1979 6 5,201 Jun 2, 2009 10:10 AM
Last Post: slbailey617
  Preference for our game assets Carlos Camacho 33 16,992 Jun 28, 2002 06:49 AM