Animating 3D Models

The easiest way to do animation in RB3D is to just model each piece separately, and continue with the animation after that. I've also heard of people with the need for dynamic models simply rewriting 3DMF data and passing it through the RB3D classes. Of course I think the declares would work as well. imho, RB3D is ugly and incredibly underdeveloped. I'd stick with OpenGL through declares.
Quote this message in a reply
nickdabner
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by MacFiend
The easiest way to do animation in RB3D is to just model each piece separately, and continue with the animation after that. I've also heard of people with the need for dynamic models simply rewriting 3DMF data and passing it through the RB3D classes. Of course I think the declares would work as well. imho, RB3D is ugly and incredibly underdeveloped. I'd stick with OpenGL through declares.

Modelling each piece separately was my first choice, but it ends up with an early Tomb Raider look. Had some trouble with Meshwork observing the centroid as well, so gave up. May restart the process using the meshwork bone output. Easy to parse and would be a good building block / proof of functionality approach.

Obviously, RB3D would suffer from the same performance hits as OpenGL with regards to status changes, etc, so loading new 3DMF data may not be the best way to go.

Would you say RB3D is under-developed compared to Quesa? I find it a good stepping stone into programming and 3D for those of us short on attention span. Going to OpenGL would be a change for me (and a steep learning curve). Perhaps in the future.
kberg
Unregistered

I had been thinking about recoding or adding the option to use a vertex array object instead of display lists. To do the animation, recode the modeltype class so that it can hold an array of vertex arrays, and make a new Draw() function that accepts two array indexes and a morph value. The morph value is simply a linear weight to calculate a new vertex using the associated verticies from the two referenced objects.

Between this, and some creative higher level boning, it should be possible to create some decent looking animations using sets of .obj files. Of course I haven't gotten around to doing any of this stuff lately as I've been kind of busy, and now finals are less then a month away Sad
To do the animation, recode the modeltype class so that it can hold an array of vertex arrays, and make a new Draw() function that accepts two array indexes and a morph value. The morph value is simply a linear weight to calculate a new vertex using the associated verticies from the two referenced objects.
[/b][/quote]

This is similar to the approach i took. it works well for morphing...but for things like limbs though, it'd take a lot of keyframes. i made a new class, an animation one, that stored an array of models. then you could call a draw between function which took two models and a percent morph.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Nice models and free models, new site! 3d4ya 4 3,813 Sep 18, 2008 07:36 AM
Last Post: NYGhost
  OpenGL stops animating after title bar is dragged mbrady 2 2,086 Jul 2, 2006 01:14 AM
Last Post: Fenris