Mesh Simplification Tools?

Luminary
ndo, 3ds, obj, VRML2, and maybe some others. Thanks for the offer, Carlos, I may take you up on that in the future! For the moment, one of my PC-ridden friends was able to do it for me with a free PC tool.
Quote this message in a reply
In the Wings3D menus you see a little box on the right hand side of some menu items. It looks almost like a checkbox. If you click that - you get the menu command - but it brings up a dialog of extra options.

In the Export->Wavefront(obj) extra dialog it lets you set how many "Sub-division steps" for example.

Does this help - or did you know about this already? Or do you need even less points than you get with subdivision 0?
Luminary
The problem is that some parts (head, tail) need at least one subdivision step, which produces too many triangles.
Sage
OneSadCookie Wrote:one of my PC-ridden friends was able to do it for me with a free PC tool.

Resurrecting an ancient thread to point out a free PC tool that I found to work far better than the available free Mac options: Balancer Lite.
Blender is a good tool if you want it, i personally find it easier than wings. Art Of Illusion has the best simplifier i've ever seen but it's slow (java).

~ Bring a Pen ~
Sage
arekkusu Wrote:Resurrecting an ancient thread to point out a free PC tool that I found to work far better than the available free Mac options: Balancer Lite.

I've been using CGAL's mesh simplification via edge-collapse.

http://www.cgal.org/Manual/3.3/doc_html/..._main.html

Trouble is it's very hincty. It tends to explode and throw exceptions when dealing with meshes generated by my marching cubes tesselator, which is my own damn fault and I'm working on it.

But when I can make it work, the CGAL algorithm produces gorgeous meshes. Nice and even triangulation, minus slivers or other ugliness.