3D animation software

Animation Master for the Mac requires a lot of tinkering with classic extensions to enable a more stable environment. The Mac OS X version still won't be available until fall 2003 or later. It runs much more stable on a PC running Windows XP. It's modeling interface is a step beyond many other modelers that aren't patch-based. It's animation system is what is really amazing. Check out one of the two following links:

http://www.forum3d.kom-net.pl/dwnld.php3?id=94
It's 18 MB, just to warn you

http://www.hash.com/ftp/pub/movies/puppet3.mov
6.8 MB

The most reliable 3-d apps were bryce and Specular/Metatools InfinitD. Every program that I've used outside of SoftImage for the Unix system has "unexpectedly quit" on the mac at some time or another. Is there a way of porting that old $10,000 app to Mac OS X? It has absolutely no GUI. It's just buttons and text fields. It's great Love

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Quote this message in a reply
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

LightWave is pretty stable. Never crashed on me.

Animation Master's modeller can't beat LW or Universe or 3ds max. Or can it. I've never used it but I've heard plenty about it.

BTW, you're an After Effects user too huh, gatti? Cool.
snickrep
Unregistered

First I want to thank everyone for their support. I have a plan of what I am going to do. Since I can only do basic modeling,(making objects like chairs,tables,etc.) I will learn to use Meshwork or Wings 3D. Then once I can actually make a human and in-game type objects I will look more into buying Cinema 4D or Lightwave. Also, how is carrara studio? I here that its modeling tools are awful. Also which should I use? Wings 3D or Meshwork 3D? Whats the difference between them?

Snickrep~
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Use Wings, then move up to LightWave.

Wings is more powerful than Meshwork. Also, if you'll be making a 3D game, use LightWave instead of Cinema. LW's modelling and UV texture mapping are good for 3D games. Now, I have seen Cinema used very well in 2D games. Never seen a 3D game whose art was done in Cinema. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. Wink
Luminary
Wings is more powerful, faster, better supported, in constant development, has unlimited undo support, easy interface and good UV-mapping facilities. It requires 10.2.

Meshwork is not free ($30 US), it only does polygonal modelling, it hasn't had a serious update since like 1998, the interface could use some work, it doesn't undo any more, UV-mapping facilities are basic at best. It works back to like 7.6 or so. 3D preview is a separate view, it only supports editing the model in orthogonal or isometric views.

I guess you know which one I'd recommend Wink

Try them both, though, it may be that Meshwork better suits you personally.

If you're having trouble getting started with Wings 3D, you need to set up your camera controls to use only one button and the Nendo camera, then do the wine glass tutorials from wings3d.com.
Founder
Carrara has a review on THIS site. Please read it. Version 2 is out and the renderings that I have seen are VERY VERY nice. As for modelers, as our review points out, it contains several types. I think that is good as it lets you tackle different types of jobs. In addition, it comes with Amapi, which can model almost anything (but needs time to learn it.) The cost is very competitive. I strongly recommend you get the demo. I think what you have heard about Carrara is the fact that it uses "rooms" to build/texture/animate things. For beginners, that can be helpful. Me, I don't like that approach. But if I recall, Lightwave breaks its modeler and animator into two programs, as well as Universe.

Making objects like making objects like chairs,tables,etc. is far from making human/organic type objects. Unless you are looking at low-polygon count human characters.

BTW, if you are a student, the academic version of Strata3DPro is $449.00.

From what I have seen from user's images, Wings 3D can make more organic shapes. I don't know about its UV mapping, but if I recall, Meshwork has it. BTW#2, a new version of Meshwork is out, so make sure you download it. Also, don't forget we have an old version of Amapi if you still run Classic. There are many tutorials for Amapi out there. And it supports a good number of formats for I/O.

Last tip, Vue 4 may not come to mind since it is in the category of Bryce. But you can model objects in it. The manual has some good tutorials. Also, DO check out ZBrush. You will be amazed.

Cheers

p.s. Is REAL3D, once on the Amiga still alive, or is it dead? Unlike Cinema4D and Lightwave, it never made it to the Mac. Too bad.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
snickrep
Unregistered

I am planing on doing low-poly human models. No way will I be able to make high-poly models. So from what I have heard, Wings 3D is better with modeling and easier to use than meshwork. I will start on my game soon using Dimension3. Is that a good engine? I am also learning programing. This will probably take a couple years to learn, buts its well worth it. Are programing skills need for Dimension3? Can I export/import objects from Wings 3D to dimension3? Also, Wings 3D doesn't have animation support. Will I be able to import/export objects in wings 3d and animator8?

Snickrep~
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

OK, Wings is for you. LightWave's for high poly models with advanced textures, and realistic animations...way out of dim3 world. Smile

Export models as OBJ's or 3DS's to use them in dim3.

dim3 rocks, and it's getting better and better.
Founder
For questions on dim3, please start a post there. For questions on Wings 3D, why not download it, go to the import and export menu and see what is listed. Smile

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
The problem isn't making high-poly models, it's making low-poly ones that look good.

High-poly models are easy. (relatively)
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
If you're having trouble getting started with Wings 3D, you need to set up your camera controls to use only one button and the Nendo camera, then do the wine glass tutorials from wings3d.com.

its strange that wings3d cant recognize 2nd and 3rd mouse buttons - but it *does* recognize the mouse wheel! Go fig.
snickrep
Unregistered

There has been talk about softimage coming to mac. Is this true? For people that have used it on PC, how is it compared to maya and lightwave. Many game developers seem to use it. I know that Resident Evil, Resident Evil Zero, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XI, Virtua Fighter 4, Shinobi, Mario 64, and many others were made with it.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Maya and LW are more popular and industry standard. SoftImage is *very* good though. But what I really want to see on the Mac (well, we all should want this) is.....

3D STUDiO MAX!!!!

That is the most popular 3D app and it's one of the best apps for game developers.

Anyway, it is possible to build your own animation app or modeller for your games.

David: Making highpoly models is easy. Definitely. When I first use Meshwork I could get anything to look right. It was so jagged and ugly and, since I don't have alot of patience, I just quit and left it alone. I think I still have Meshwork but I don't use it anymore. Smile
burden
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by codemattic
its strange that wings3d cant recognize 2nd and 3rd mouse buttons - but it *does* recognize the mouse wheel! Go fig.

Huh

All of my mouse buttons are recognized.
Quote:Originally posted by burden
Huh

All of my mouse buttons are recognized.

really! how did you manage that? What is your set-up? I'm using a wacom mouse-tablet and 10.2.4.

Anyone else getting right and middle buttons recognized by Wings3d or is it just me?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Give Your Feedback about NEW 3D Animation Software - IKITMovie johnmartyn 1 3,034 Nov 24, 2008 07:05 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake