I need a good cheap MIDI program

Right now I'm using Rockit. It's Classic-only and AOL seems to have taken down all its members.aol.com pages, which was where the site was hosted. Does anyone know of any OS X-compatible MIDI programs that are less than $50?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
Virtual Composer, 25$
PlayerPRO on the iDevGames website. Free.

But only if someone could tell me how to extend recording time from the default 7 seconds, I sorta can't use it.
Quote:Originally posted by applekid
PlayerPRO on the iDevGames website. Free.

But only if someone could tell me how to extend recording time from the default 7 seconds, I sorta can't use it.

hehe, yes, that would be useful.... cause as much as I like the 7 second version I was making of beethoven's 5th...
Hog
how about Melody Assistant, $15?
Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
hehe, yes, that would be useful.... cause as much as I like the 7 second version I was making of beethoven's 5th...

Well... as long as I'm not alone. Grin

Could it be bad code?
Quote:Originally posted by applekid
Well... as long as I'm not alone. Grin

Could it be bad code?

I say it is much more likely that we have NO idea how to work this cool little program... what I want to know is how to get some really low notes. I can't do it. All my notes are way too high.
Don't forget that PlayerPro is a tracker, so it's nothing like most MIDI software. You might find it extremely confusing if you've never used a tracker before!

Anyway, to get more time in your song you have to create new patterns and add them to the (strangely named) partition list:

Choose Patterns->Patterns List from the menu to open the Patterns List window, then press the New Pattern button (looks like a blank document). Configure the new pattern and OK the dialog. You need to double click it in the Patterns List to make it appear in Digital Editor window. Now fill out each of the patterns with parts of your tune.

Once you've done that, you need to set up the partition list. Choose Patterns->Partition List to open that window. You'll notice a red stripe on the left of the window - that's the length of your song. Drag the stripe out to make your song longer. You can now tell it what order it should play the patterns in by clicking the little triangle next to each position.

If you want to play lower (or higher) notes, open the Piano window by choosing Views->Piano. There are two little arrow buttons at the left of the window that change the current octave.

I hope that helps! Unfortunately, although I bought PlayerPro years ago, I've never really been able to do anything particularly wonderful in it, but that's mainly due to lack of talent. You might have more luck than me! I had a much better time with the old shareware program MidiGraphy, but it has never been Carbonised and it doesn't work properly under Classic, sadly.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
I've never used a tracker before, and was very confused by PlayerPro. I'll probably go with Melody Assistant, it being the cheapest.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Founder
Virtual Drummer might not have come to mind, but since you can assign not only drum sounds, but any QT MIDI instrument, you should check it out. Very easy to use. It can export to MIDI file or a standard AIFF file. You can find many drum patterns on the net to get a feel for building a song that way. Anyhow, it may not be the best bet, but do check it out. I would also recommend Metro SE or whatever the low-cost version is called. It now runs on Mac OS X and has great features, and you can upgrade it to the full version later on.

Other program to check out is a Japanese (english version available) program called "MIDIGraphy 1.4.3". It has alot of features and is low-cost. Not so easy to use, but also does what you want.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Project Messiah 3D modeler gong incredibly cheap backslash 1 6,513 Feb 18, 2011 05:55 AM
Last Post: toonbit
  Free/cheap 3d models of chess pieces? MattDiamond 12 19,625 Dec 8, 2005 04:20 PM
Last Post: MattDiamond
  Is there a free/cheap game making program for OS X? gamingjustin 13 15,631 Dec 6, 2005 02:15 PM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie
  Cheap 3D Software CaptKevMan 3 3,576 Aug 3, 2003 12:50 PM
Last Post: ellrx
  In-Game Midi Justin Brimm 12 5,067 Jun 20, 2003 10:13 PM
Last Post: Greg Gant