Vanishing Menu Bar

Prince Aron
Unregistered

I am writing a game in 640x480 fullscreen using OpenGL. Occasionally, when I exit the program the whole menu bar gets wiped out and just goes white. If you click on it, the menus reappear, but this is still very annoying. I've been studying the problem, and can't seem to come up with any noticible pattern to this occurence, it seems random.

I figure I must be doing something wrong when exiting my program. Any ideas?
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I've also had this problem with CGCaptureAllDisplays and a Carbon app. The only solution I found was to call HideMenuBar and ShowMenuBar at appropriate moments.
WaaMatt
Unregistered

I've seen this happen when full-screen apps crash and quit. But, that's probably due to not getting a chance to call ShowMenuBar!
DoG
In OS X, the menubar occasionally becomes transparent. There seems to be no logic behind it, since this not only happens with crashing apps, but also after quitting normal apps like itunes or safari.
Quote:Originally posted by DoooG
In OS X, the menubar occasionally becomes transparent. There seems to be no logic behind it, since this not only happens with crashing apps, but also after quitting normal apps like itunes or safari.

I get that all the time.

Also sometimes - if the game or app switched to a smaller screen - when it quits the finder's menubar stays the size of the smaller screen (even while the other apps' menubars are ok).

And sometimes I get a white menubar for the finder - but if you click on it the menus fill in.

It happens with all sorts of fullscreen apps.
Prince Aron
Unregistered

OK, so you say I should use ShowMenuBar()

I've tried it where it seems to me it should go, which is after my game returns from full screen mode. However, it still doesn't work.
Luminary
Hmm, I just looked at my code and perhaps it's only the HideMenuBar that's necessary (I just let the app quit handle un-capturing displays, showing menu bars, &c). This is an abridged version of my setup code:

Code:
cgError = CGCaptureAllDisplays();
HideMenuBar();
aglSetFullScreen( context, width, height, refreshrate, 0 );

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Menu Item Question gradyeightythree 2 3,185 Apr 30, 2007 12:31 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Starting Menu: a separate event loop? ferum 11 5,663 Sep 8, 2006 03:35 AM
Last Post: imikedaman
  Fullscreen menu problem KiroNeem 2 3,054 Aug 30, 2005 02:32 PM