First attempt at CG

Darkgold
Unregistered

Thank you thank you thank you! Although for some reason that post made me feel like a horrible wanna be artist, so I am never doing that again!
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by codemattic
well kewl beans DG!

Oh my god, someone else in the world who says Cool Beans. I thought I was the last one. You don't happen to have a super cute girlfriend name Regina that started you saying that do you?

Anyway, GREAT WORK. Illustrator or Freehand (please don't say Corel)

DO NOT FEAR POSTING YOUR ART. You should be proud, I knew 60 adults in college who were much less talented.
I've known several dozen more trained graphics pro's who could never get anywhere near that kind of technical expression. They should FEAR you!!!

Keep on going and be assured not everything you do has to be "finished", concept art is a perfect start for better things. A dozen sketchy works can breed bigger and better detailed designs.

Just went through the thread and see you used another persons work for reference...don't fear that either, fanart has its place! Next try some photographs from various sources, do what you did here, then combine into a composition!

Thats the secret behind millions of comic books, not everything comes right out of their heads, not everyone is a master of anatomy and architectural rendering.
When you pay big money for college art classes they will teach you...are you ready?...to TRACE. Thats right!
I spent 18 years thinking tracing was bad, then I had to do it for dozens of assignments...it helps tons, believe me!

What else you got on your drive to look at?
dogma
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by DaFalcon
DarkGold, you didn't tell us that you were drawing a .hack character....

Nor did you tell us that you were working off of somebody else's image.

http://www.lvcm.com/genzou/tsukasa.jpg - note; even this image is not an original, the pose was taken from a promo.

Sorry if I sound mean at all, I just recently read this ( http://www.cutepet.org/faq.html#q18 ) tidbit about copier artists and cut and paste artists.

I know you're learning and I know I did the same thing with my CGing-of-self, but I at least pointed out that I was using a photo of myself as a basis, you should probably have mentioned that this was not your character and that you were using a pre-existing pose.

Erm, genius steals? No-one achieves technical profficiency without a little bit of plagiarism. For one - how would any comic artist get a job if they didn't follow ANY of the guidelines and standards for producing comics? How would your average joe bloggs designer get by on "pure" graphics. I suppose you come from a world where samples in music are bad!

I really got into design, and learned a lot from reproduction art. I never claimed it was mine if I just plain copied it all, however, if I made it "my own", then it was mine. You can only copyright the original - not the idea behind it.

Big up to the guy, hey has done well. Especially as first attempt. Keep up the good!
Quote:Originally posted by dogma
For one - how would any comic artist get a job if they didn't follow ANY of the guidelines and standards for producing comics?

ok who here was deriding Darkgold for "following guidelines and standards"? nobody? ok. that is completely not the issue. perhaps your metaphor would have pertained if you had used an example of a comic artist tracing another comic artist

sorry if i'm an asshole right now, i just got roused from a deep, very hung-over sleep by my girlfriend to drive her to a doctor's appointment that didn't exist. so don't take it personally. Smile
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

>please don't say Corel
Isn't CorelDraw 11 better than Illustrator. Well, it appears to be from the MW review.

NOTE: I am not a graphic designer so I'm ready for correction by the designers here.
death_himself
Unregistered

CG - Computer Generated. Now some may think, that, that means, anything done on a computer...but no, it actually has to be GENERATED by the computer. Drawing in a 2D program is no different from drawing on paper (with some magical tools to make youe lines smooth and so forth). For something to be classified as CGI, it has to be computed, mathematics need to be involved. Whilst I know all programs use computing, if we compare it to the real world, I might make more sense. Paper is made up of atoms and molecules...when we draw on paper we move atoms and molecules around...but does this make us nuclear physicists, no? Nor does it make the people who make paper scientists. The programs that let you draw 2D art are merely paper, the only calculations that I believe make them different from paper are those that say, make all your lines curvy. But, not only are there not enough of them, but when we equate it to say, using a chemical to alter a painting (the chemical could even be paint, but I were thinking of that white stuff you put down so you don't paint on certain places you want left white, for say, a water spraying as it hits rocks, effect)...to help you paint, many of these chemicals effectively, in the eyes of some artists, let you cheat. So what does count as CGI then? 3D...whilst doing something in 3D doesn't make you a mathematician, your computer has to actually compute EVERYTHING...again, I know it has to compute in a 2D program, what colour pixel is what...but I go back to my paper example...if I'm making any sense. Well...thats just my opinion anyway, I do hope I've made sense...of course, I expect people to disagree with me Smile .
CG stands for Computer Graphics, not Computer Generated. CG even covers art that was drawn on paper and later scanned in to be edited (which is what I do for my CGs).
a month later the conversation starts again. i'm jumping off a cliff.
Hmm... if everybody else jumped off a cliff, would I do it too?
death_himself
Unregistered

Oh, yah, you're right, CG-computer graphics, CGI-computer generated images...k, well...um...yeah. And hey I didn't get to argue last time Sad .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  First Attempt at Music - Be Kind! Bachus 8 5,503 Jul 16, 2003 07:27 PM
Last Post: JeremyL
  First attempt at game music - Feedback please Greg Gant 13 8,552 Jun 18, 2003 03:16 AM
Last Post: Greg Gant
  First attempt at large pixel art(not a edit :P ) Joseph Duchesne 2 3,455 May 14, 2003 05:15 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho