First attempt at CG

CG does indeed stand for Computer Graphics, which includes any artwork created with a computer, be it 2D or 3D, still picture or a movie.

I recently purchased a CG tutorial CD and it is all 2D stuff. ( http://store.rabbitvalley.org/item_50_1008.html )
Quote this message in a reply
DarkGold, you didn't tell us that you were drawing a .hack character....

Nor did you tell us that you were working off of somebody else's image.

http://www.lvcm.com/genzou/tsukasa.jpg - note; even this image is not an original, the pose was taken from a promo.

Sorry if I sound mean at all, I just recently read this ( http://www.cutepet.org/faq.html#q18 ) tidbit about copier artists and cut and paste artists.

Quote:Why are these types of artists bad? It's frustrating to see other 'artists' taking these sorts of short cuts just to gain popularity or reap financial gain._Not only do they steal poses, but these poses come from other artist's hard work! Since copier artists usually keep it a secret that they trace or copy, they never give credit to the original artist for the pose or for any other element stolen from another artist's image.

Unfortunately many people simply don't have the
knowledge or experience with anime style artwork to know when a work is being copied. This is simply because they've never seen the original, and have no reason to distrust the artist when they pass off a copied image as their own. Some artist like to pray upon the uninformed or apathetic and use it their advantage.

I know you're learning and I know I did the same thing with my CGing-of-self, but I at least pointed out that I was using a photo of myself as a basis, you should probably have mentioned that this was not your character and that you were using a pre-existing pose.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

CG is mainly used for 3D graphics!! CG stands for computer generated. Toy Story for example was CG (duh) and it was made in Maya. This image I would call graphic design.
Quote:Originally posted by AJ Infinity
CG is mainly used for 3D graphics!! CG stands for computer generated. Toy Story for example was CG (duh) and it was made in Maya. This image I would call graphic design.

Oh please... CG != 3D

In most circles, CG is merely an umbrella term that includes all computer graphics. And, Toy Story was not "made in Maya," some of the modeling and animation may have been done in Maya, but most of the shading was done with in house tools. And the rendering was also done with in house tools.

Good lord, I don't know why I'm even continuing this argument... I must just be tired and cranky.
w_reade
Unregistered

Well, GoodDoug, I was bright as a button and fresh as a daisy when I read it, and I still felt an almost-overpowering urge to say much the same... Wink
AJ, nobody will hold this against you, just let it rest and accept that you blanked and messed up...believe me nobody cares. People do care if you keep arguing about something we all know is wrong.
This image I would call graphic design.

take it from a longtime computer artist studying computer art and graphic design in college.
graphic design is a commercial skill, mostly dealing with layout and presentation, that is used to communicate information in an asthetically pleasing way. usually to sell something. graphic design is not limited to computer or non-computer work. good examples of graphic design include brochures, web sites, flyers, magazine advertisements and billboards, etc.
graphic design is sometimes confused with illustration, which is what i would call this. illustration can of course be incorporated into graphic design work, but the two words are not interchangeable.
CG (or CGI) are generally used to describe 3d computer work for movies. however, the term covers 2d work as well. personally i only use the term CG to describe 3d animation, because that is what "CG" invokes in most folks' minds. but that's just me. technically it covers any 2d or 3d computer graphic work.
also, i agree with dafalcon's criticisms of copy artists. there might be some merit in copying another artist for the sole purpose of learning technique, but i would personally argue against even that. definitely no glory in passing another's work off as your own. not that i am trying to accuse Darkgold of doing so, but copying art without permission under any circumstances is walking on thin ice... you could easily make someone pissed.
that said, you seem to have great skills and an excellent technical understanding of your tools. take the leap and start working on original pieces! keep us updated, it's great to see an artist's work.
Darkgold
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by DaFalcon
DarkGold, you didn't tell us that you were drawing a .hack character....

Nor did you tell us that you were working off of somebody else's image.

http://www.lvcm.com/genzou/tsukasa.jpg - note; even this image is not an original, the pose was taken from a promo.

Sorry if I sound mean at all, I just recently read this ( http://www.cutepet.org/faq.html#q18 ) tidbit about copier artists and cut and paste artists.

I know you're learning and I know I did the same thing with my CGing-of-self, but I at least pointed out that I was using a photo of myself as a basis, you should probably have mentioned that this was not your character and that you were using a pre-existing pose.

Sorry if I made you mad by not saying that, yes that was the image I was drawing, but in no way was it cut and paste. Look at the fingers and you can really tell, I was attempting to improve apon the original. I will soon post something that is an original character.
As for how I did it, I first hand drew the image then went into Photoshop and used the line tool to trace all the lines. Last I used the paint bucket for the colors.
Again, I'm sorry if I made anyone mad. I was practicing CGing, not the actual drawing of the character. Thats why I used a pre-exsisting image.
Its cool, Darkgold. I just originally though that it was your own character and was impressed by the design :-) Hopefully you'll impress us with your original character as well :-)
i agree; like i said, it's very well done. the only way you're really likely to make someone angry would be if you tried to pass it off as your own original design. looking forward to more of your work!
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by GoodDoug
Oh please... CG != 3D

In most circles, CG is merely an umbrella term that includes all computer graphics. And, Toy Story was not "made in Maya," some of the modeling and animation may have been done in Maya, but most of the shading was done with in house tools. And the rendering was also done with in house tools.

Good lord, I don't know why I'm even continuing this argument... I must just be tired and cranky.

Damn, that was harsh. Smile Ah well, I should just go back to calling 3D graphics 3D graphics then. AND I KNOW TOY STORY WASN"T JUST MADE IN MAYA!!! OF COURSE NOT IF IT WERE MADE BY PIXAR> Maya drove all the character animation, scene assembly etc., but Pixar used their own tools also. Whaddya think I am? Stupid? (Please, don't answer that)

Nobody likes being proved wrong anyway, I just took a guess that it was 3D graphics because Darkgold said CG and CG (as erazorhead said) makes me think of 3D graphics.
Damn, that was harsh. Smile Ah well, I should just go back to calling 3D graphics 3D graphics then. AND I KNOW TOY STORY WASN"T JUST MADE IN MAYA!!! OF COURSE NOT IF IT WERE MADE BY PIXAR> Maya drove all the character animation, scene assembly etc., but Pixar used their own tools also. Whaddya think I am? Stupid? (Please, don't answer that)

Nobody likes being proved wrong anyway, I just took a guess that it was 3D graphics because Darkgold said CG and CG (as erazorhead said) makes me think of 3D graphics.

Damn! you mean I can't call you stupid? Wink

I apologize for being harsh.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Bunch of bullies! Every single last one of you!! Grin Wow Rasp
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by GoodDoug
Damn! you mean I can't call you stupid? Wink

Wow! Everyone on this forum has a sense of humor (except <won't name his name> and <won't name his name>).

remember, you're messing with an orc raider from WarCraft 3 (avatar). Grin
All poses have been done before, by somebody. You can't complain if somebody makes a picture using a similar pose...

If they do the same pose with the same outfit and colors and objects then there may be a problem, but not if they're just using it to practice cg Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  First Attempt at Music - Be Kind! Bachus 8 5,344 Jul 16, 2003 07:27 PM
Last Post: JeremyL
  First attempt at game music - Feedback please Greg Gant 13 8,424 Jun 18, 2003 03:16 AM
Last Post: Greg Gant
  First attempt at large pixel art(not a edit :P ) Joseph Duchesne 2 3,388 May 14, 2003 05:15 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho