High Scores in Cocoa

Luminary
They could:
  • hack the game code statically (find the routine that sends the score and change the assembler to modify the score just before it's sent.
  • hack the game code statically and multiply all the points that are assigned by (say) 2 so that their score is higher in-game.
  • find the code that does the encryption, extract it and write a little command-line tool to submit whatever high-score they choose.
  • break the encryption (probably by disassembling the code to figure out the encryption scheme), then intercept the TCP packet before it leaves their machine and change the number.
Quote this message in a reply
Sorry I never realised that anyone would go to such an effort just to get a high score for something as unimportant as a game. Sad

I wonder just how many such sad people there are out there?
Luminary
Well, the first and second options aren't really that difficult (particularly if function symbols are still in the executable). I mean, there's at least one game I've used GDB to get around trial period expiry Blush so there's undoubtedly other less scrupulous people who'd think hacking their way to a high-score was good fun...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  High Scores ChrisPol 2 2,578 Aug 22, 2007 05:56 PM
Last Post: ChrisPol
  High Scores kodex 0 2,029 Aug 1, 2005 04:39 PM
Last Post: kodex
  Saving High Scores Nick 7 4,058 Jun 20, 2005 12:08 AM
Last Post: Malarkey