What's the difference between FMOD and mikmod?

ThrottleMonkey
Unregistered

I could use any bit of knowledge anyone wants to give.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
What's the difference between FMOD and mikmod? Mikmod looks better supported to me, but I wouldn't know.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Luminary
FMOD is a high-quality commercial general-purpose sound library.

MikMod is an open-source MOD player library of somewhat dubious quality.

The two aren't really comparable.
Sage
Oh, never mind, I thought they were similar.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
rvangaal
Unregistered

I use the latest FMod for Mac without too much trouble. I use gcc, thus the libfmod.a version, which for me requires a 'ranlib' (as indicated by the error Wink ).

After that, it still complains about sorting order (or was that on Linux? hm), but there a multiply defined symbols in the .a. I once took the trouble to rip those modules out that had some duplicate C++ symbols.
After that though, the 'ranlib -s' command should work.

FMOD is VERY well supported, even for non-commercial use I still get answers quickly.

As for the usage, the tarball comes with some very simple examples, and should get you a playing music file within an hour. Just a couple of calls and you're set.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by rvangaal
I use the latest FMod for Mac without too much trouble. I use gcc, thus the libfmod.a version, which for me requires a 'ranlib' (as indicated by the error Wink ).

After that, it still complains about sorting order (or was that on Linux? hm), but there a multiply defined symbols in the .a. I once took the trouble to rip those modules out that had some duplicate C++ symbols.
After that though, the 'ranlib -s' command should work.

FMOD is VERY well supported, even for non-commercial use I still get answers quickly.

As for the usage, the tarball comes with some very simple examples, and should get you a playing music file within an hour. Just a couple of calls and you're set.

Their is a problem with using FMOD with Cocoa. I have worked with Firelight Technologies and he has changed some function calls that deal with __realloc(). It now compiles with Cocoa and is going to add the fix in the next release 3.63? But Carbon works fine with 3.62.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Difference between Development and Deployment? ia3n_g 15 8,323 Aug 15, 2006 09:56 PM
Last Post: imikedaman
  Error during linking when trying to use FMOD in Cocoa app BobimusPrime 7 3,927 Oct 10, 2003 06:23 PM
Last Post: BobimusPrime
  FMOD and Cocoa Holmes 8 4,535 Jul 23, 2003 08:43 PM
Last Post: Holmes
  FMOD - MAC Version Himiona 5 3,706 Apr 25, 2003 08:04 PM
Last Post: Mars_999