Cinema 4D is it any good?

Mars_999
Unregistered

I might buy Cinema 4D down the road but unsure. Has anyone used it? Is it any good? I see it supports .obj, .lwo, .dxf, .3ds files. Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
3D programs are subjective, ask 3 people and you'll get 3 different answers (same deal with audio software).

All I can say is download the demo and see for yourself. You're really limited to C4D, LightWave and Maya on the Mac - Maya has a free/trial version as well, not sure about LightWave (I think you can request a demo from Newtek)

I've been a C4D user since version 5, and used LightWave previously - I use C4D mostly for hi-res print work, but the polygon tools in v8 are much better than previous versions (finally has edge tools). Maxon's BodyPaint is a godsend if you're doing any sort of complex texturing or UV mapping (like game characters) but it works just as well as a standalone app or with bridges to other 3D apps.

So: I'd recommend C4D personally, it's probably the most user friendly of the 3 apps I mentioned, and supports many file formats, but try a few demos and see what fits your workflow and budget.
griffin239
Unregistered

Cinema 4D is great! Has many Features, many plug-ins, is programmable, and
compatible with other software. I love the app,
I wish I could develop games entirely inside of it.

I've tried everything else, except Maya (needs 3 button mouse)

Cinema 4D Go used to come free with Final Cut Pro, but its discontinued.

I still miss Ray Dream Studios shaders though, Cinema 4D seems
to borrow much from that app for other elements.

Great thing in C4 is there is a cataloging freature..it loads and
previews entire directories of models, scanning folders recusively!!

Go for it!

Don't forget about Meshwork...not the greatest 3D app, but in the past 11 months I've made more models with Meshwork than any 3D app I've ever used. I mean a whole lot of models.
Then theirs the crazy Loq Airou or something in the resources here...
I couldn't figure that out at all,'
maybe you can.
DoG
I started using C4D when the first XL came out, v4 I think. I have not used it so much recently, but the ease of use has not deteriorated, despite the loads of features added since then.

I spent a few weeks trying to figure out lightwave, but finally left it alone, as it can do some awesome special effects, but is just to clumsy for anything simple.

I have never tried maya, but its really high high end. As a general purpose 3D app, especially for not so high end applications, quick designs and sketches, easy animations and nice renders, I would say Cinema 4D is good to go for.
Adam's been using Cinema 4D for our artwork since Bushfire. It's got pretty much the best renderer around and now Adam's got the hang of the skeletal system, he's able to do animating models of the characters for Airburst Extreme.

Maya's animation system is a little easier to use, but C4D is on a par with Maya on most of the other elements and price-wise is a lot less expensive.
Founder
I really agree with Frank. People are really loyal to their 3d apps. Since it takes a while to master them, it is hard to re-train your mind to use a new app. I have always found each app to offer good and bad. Check out my Editorial on Mac 3D.

I watched some tutorials for Maya and I was pretty impressed. If I could afford it, I would make it my full time app.

I suggest your download all demos and give them a shot.

Electric Image is at 5 or 6 now.
FormZ JUST released a new version.
Cinema4D guys just keep making it better and better, and unlike some apps, the GUI is responsive.
Strata just made it to Mac OS X, and although I stand by its rendering, its animation has been surpased.
Pixel3D has a small loyal following
Lightwave, I don't care for its GUI, but it is heavly supported
Carrara2 packs alot of punch for the dollar IMHO

Anyone want to buy my Hash A:M license? Wink

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
griffin239
Unregistered

I should mention that Electric Image Universe is running a Special.
By Electric Image and get a Free iBook, $1200!!!!!
Really Buy and iBook get 3D software!!

I should also mentionBLENDER
since I supported its efforts to open the source code after chapter 11.
I wishI had the time to learn it, or the know how to redesign its interface
to be very very Macintosh!

Just incase you don't get Carlos' joke about Hash A:M:
It is the most buggy garbage application on the planet.
Read the reviews at versiontracker.
I bought it twice, once for a full version, and an upgrade I was
hoping meant no crashing, but it turned out to be a non-upgrade.
Gave one license to my old high school commercial art class
and sold the other license with the 5 training VHS tapes to a 12 year
old kid at my yard sale for $20.
macboy
Unregistered

Shivers made most of the GFX for CloneShooter in Cinema 4D. I don't think he's seen this thread yet, but if he does, he'll probably have a few words on it.
Yeah, I use C4D and have since R7 came out. It is really a great program. Bodypaint is HEAVENLY and I am not joking. Very good mesh smoothing so it is great for HI Res graphics. It also is very good in low-polygon graphics, I can be more specific if you talk to me (check my profile for contact info). It has a very nice and customizable interface and a unbelievable good renderer.

Not everything about it is great, though:
Half-a#@ed support for 3 sided polygons (it sometimes messes up mesh-smoothin)
Lackluster exporters (it doesn't fully support many export formats)

but overall...it is great!
Mars_999
Unregistered

Thanks all for your input. I wil have to download those programs and give them a test run. I will probably go with C4D unless I like Lightwave better. I know lightwave can do some really bada** stuff, remember from the Amiga days! Also UT2K3 uses Lightwave.
Quote:Originally posted by Mars_999
Also UT2K3 uses Lightwave.
Last I heard they're using Maya, and even shipping the learning edition + a custom plugin with the game (PC only).
Mars_999
Unregistered

Digital Extremes set a new standard in gaming with the blockbuster hits Unreal and Unreal Tournament. This London, Ontario, Canada-based team knew they could rely on LightWave 3D® to meet their goals.

I grabbed that from Newteks homepage. I have played and won both Unreal2 and UT2K3 on my PC I had. I must have read it in a readme file or somewhere on the net that they were using Lightwave now?
Deep Trouble for the Mac which was released, November I believe, also uses Lightwave. I'm not sure if I spoke to the dev here or through email, or over ichat, but I remember he was very excited about the wonders of his engine's handling of LightWave files.

C4D to my knowledge doesn't export LWO, files, but it imports them and entire scenes.

I would not buy a 3D package because a commercial game uses it.

Look at the Announcements Topic and threads within, Arcane Arena is using LWO files. But Lugaru is using Meshwork, and both games are sweet 3D!
Lightwave = $900
Meshwork = $30

I've yet to see direct support for C4D files or scenes.
But C4D exports 3DS which gets you to Meshwork and you can write or license a 3DS model loader source ($10).

Or it spins out Obj, and there is source for that here as well.

I would suggest if you are starting out, and not an expert at 3D, to demo everything from the lowest price moving up.

What do you plan to do, for the next 2 - 3 years with your 3D $oft? That's an important thing to meditate on.
Quote:Originally posted by Mars_999
Digital Extremes set a new standard in gaming with the blockbuster hits Unreal and Unreal Tournament. This London, Ontario, Canada-based team knew they could rely on LightWave 3D® to meet their goals.

That's all fine and well, but it still comes with Maya: http://us.infogrames.com/games/unreal_to...t_2003_pc/

I guess the lesson here is that people can use what ever they want when they have the resources to write exporters for any 3D software (I'm sure there's a 3DSMax UT plugin as well).
Founder
I forgot to talk about Maya PE. Good way to get your feet wet. Also, Electric Image has an old version with tons of tutorials (see link in banners). That old version may not be the latest and greatest, but when you stop and think IT helped to create many of the CG scenes in movies you no doubt saw, is pretty amazing.

Shade (see link in banner) has really taken over the under $2000 market in Japan. They have various versions at different prices. But only the top version is in English Sad I have a who's who of game dev in Japan, and 8 out 10 times I see Shade listed in tools used.

I was to meet their president last Tokyo MacWorld but we couldn't get our schedules to sync. I heard they are keen to bring Shade overseas in a big way, but need a good partner.

Yeah, I updated and updated Hash, and even got KICKED off thier mailing list once (I didn't even break any "rules".) They might give you alot of animation features for under $200, but what good is it if the program never works? I think they need to use CodeWarrior for Mac and Windows. I think they use a Window's based dev system, thus their Mac versions are always so buggy. (Then again, their Window versions are too Rolleyes ) With Mac OS X, they will be forced to clean up their act, or let go of the Mac market.

I use to wonder why Caligari never made it to the Mac, and even asked them. At one time on the Amiga, they were "they" app. On the Windows side, they seem to have lost steam. I think alot of 3d app makers saw the internet and thought "How can we re-market our 3d tool to all these new web designers?".

New Tek has been promising an app to replace Inspire, kind like a cheap Lightwave. I don't know what happen to that.

I'll plug Carrara again. I was REALLY impressed with some renderings I saw with the new version. I'm looking forward to Amapi 7 as well. Eovia is a great company IMHO.

Before you buy an application Mars_999, let me know. I'm always looking for people to review things, so I can perhaps put some tool in your hands for free, and you can provide a review. (Warning though -- I am sick of sending people free goodies to review and NOT getting a review out of them. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!)

BTW, the polygon reduction tool in the latest Cinema 4D is wicked cool.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Free Cinema 4D CE6 DudetheCreator 13 16,604 Feb 22, 2005 02:52 AM
Last Post: Fruity
  Compositing Cinema 4D alphas in Photoshop swoop 14 8,452 Dec 12, 2003 04:12 PM
Last Post: swoop