critique my music please!

Greg Gant
Unregistered

Camacho, I'd love to see a contest.

Himiona, overall well mastered and obviously a lot of plenty of time put into mastering but the second half of the track significantly louder than the rest of the cut. It understandable that the heavy rock segment would be louder but I found myself running to turn the volume down. A mild increase is fine but I found it to be a bit heavy for a videogame title screen.

I guess its only fair to put my stuff up for scrutiny. Keep in mind my works aren't videogame music but rather rap/hip hop instrumentals

http://www.ps2cheats.com/reason/gowest1-3.mp3 <-- West coast hip hop, one of my older works
http://www.ps2cheats.com/reason/harsh1-9-4.mp3 <--One of my latest works, Classical hip hop (although outta date version, theres a few "off" that aren't on beat, see if you can spot them)
http://www.ps2cheats.com/reason/hiphopis...ryone2.mp3 <-- semi-recent, upfront and modern.
http://www.ps2cheats.com/reason/battlebeat2-1.mp3 <-- One of my OLD works (also not even the final version), closest I have to videogame music. I really need to remix/remaster it. Sounds very "reason like" to me.
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
Since I have the "ear" of the music people here. I am looking for some MODs to include with our PlayerPro download. I just uploaded a new version, and it seems to be working fine now under OS 9 and X. I'd rather not include the example music files with the formerly commercial product as I am unsure of their status. So, if anyone can create some short and pleasant MODs, please send (email) them to me.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Himiona
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Greg Gant

Himiona, overall well mastered and obviously a lot of plenty of time put into mastering but the second half of the track significantly louder than the rest of the cut. It understandable that the heavy rock segment would be louder but I found myself running to turn the volume down. A mild increase is fine but I found it to be a bit heavy for a videogame title screen.

Thanks for the feedback Greg and DDog. I'll look at the volume thing to see what I can do.
The whole track is so heavily compressed I might just pull the guitars down a bit and see how that works.

Interstingly I did a bit of research into menu screens, and boy there are some big old tracks being used. I'm trying to go for a more laidback, calm before the storm approach.

the HipHop stuff is cool - I always want to hear more bass, but that's just me. How did you make them - what's your setup?

Cheers

H.
Greg Gant
Unregistered

Hey Hitomia, I just use Reason with some samples off some AKIA CDs I have. I did take a class where we used Digital Performer but I couldn't afford the necessary hardware (or software depending on if I wanted to go the softsynth, softsampler route) to have a worthwhile setup. I've sorta pushed Reason to the logical limits using its sampler to master vocals and record guitar samples. Here's an example of a piece with guitars I did. The funny thing is I can barely play the guitar.

http://www.ps2cheats.com/randomstuff/Dapunk1-3-1.mp3

Do you have any more pieces? I'm always interested to hear other musicians work.
Himiona
Unregistered

Hi Greg - it's Himiona

the link doesn't seem to work, are you uploading it now?

You can hear quite a few of my tracks at:
http://www.castlesmusic.co.nz/Music/

Cheers

Simon
Greg Gant
Unregistered

http://www.ps2cheats.com/reasonDapunk1-3-1.mp3

I'll check out your stuff, sorry about mistyping your name
Himiona
Unregistered

No problem with the name Greg - my 'real' name is Simon, take your pick!

I'll check out your music tonight - gotta get some sleep! ZZZ

Regards

H.
Himiona-
I really lie your track, hard to find flaws with it! But, since you asked for criticism, I'll do my best (as a music noob) to give constructive critique.

1) It seems a little "overt" for a menu track. I think as a menu track, it sounds good, but may be a bit too foreground.

2) Again, for a menu track, the "interesting" part comes a little too far into the piece. Many people won't get to hear the whole thing given that they can spend at most 30 seconds on the menu screen before making a choice. (Unless of course, you spend more time in the menus, particularly in hierarchical menus where you have to choose lots of things before moving into the game)

3) For a sports title, is the beat too slow? Or were you going for that specifically?

Again, I really like your music. And these issues are just my opinions, and could be totally off base. Nice job
visaudi
Unregistered

I'd say coming from the perspective of another composer, that your technique in composition is fine, except it lacks innovation, and idea. It all depends on what your trying to do givin the game, but there are probably all sorts of other games that have the exact same sort of music. This isn't meant to discourage you, but to remind you that unless your only trying to imitate art music, and not actually write it you need to start thinking about meaning and what people have done before you.

Good Luck!
Himiona
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by visaudi
I'd say coming from the perspective of another composer, that your technique in composition is fine, except it lacks innovation, and idea. It all depends on what your trying to do givin the game, but there are probably all sorts of other games that have the exact same sort of music. This isn't meant to discourage you, but to remind you that unless your only trying to imitate art music, and not actually write it you need to start thinking about meaning and what people have done before you.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your feedback. What would be your suggestion then to expand ones awareness of innovation? Also, I'm not sure I follow you when you say I need to start thinking about meaning... Can you expand on that?

H.
visaudi
Unregistered

Do you listen to much Sch╦ćnberg, Berg or Webern? Hows abouts George Crumb, or Ligeti, or John Cage? Listen to what other people are doing in video game music, and try not to have any repeat. Meaning is harder to explain, I could say that you have to have a credo, or something to stand by, it could be anything, "music should have lots of symetry" or "music should come from within" or "composers shouldn't have any specific ideology, but should just write music," the former of the three being one of my favourites. Art can be anything you want it to be really, just so long as there is innovation.
Greg Gant
Unregistered

Hey Himiona, been meaning to comment back on your other stuff, your tribal/ethnic stuff was pretty interesting and man I can't remember the rest. I'll have to check back later.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Critique bubble sprites Max 12 6,678 May 29, 2003 07:44 PM
Last Post: Shivers
  New Game Music Demo - Pls Critique andybrick 9 6,015 May 13, 2003 07:04 AM
Last Post: Bachus
  portfolio graphic critique Shivers 13 8,160 Apr 13, 2003 12:28 AM
Last Post: indi-mac