Like Pokemon (sorta)...but with customizable fighting robots...

CaptKevMan
Unregistered

(my original post):
Quote:...I had an idea a couple of years ago for SLAM!bots, which was to be a multifaceted empire akin to the Pokemon craze, only with robots that were customizable with hard-to-find (read: collectible) parts and upgrades. I envisioned a CCG, comic books, an animated series, and video game series, all revolving around this idea. It was actually intended to be a spoof of the whole "Pokemon" craze, with the whole "collectible" aspect of it going WAY overboard.

I was thinking it might make a neat cross between a FPS and an MMORPG, where each player can start with any of a couple dozen basic 'bots, then find or earn unique upgrades as they explore a huge virtual world (kinda like Everquest or something). Duels would be key, but also FFA's could ensue (whatever presents itself, I suppose).

From a practical standpoint, I know such an project is unlikely, but I just thought I'd share, since I have no way of doing anything with it (other than conceptualizing). If the idea sounds intriguing to anyone, email me and we can discuss. I figure "what the heck...it can't hurt".

REVAMPED CONCEPT: (a bit more realistic, I think):

I've simplified the SLAM! 'bots concept to (drat! ...work beckons...I'll finish this later....)
Quote this message in a reply
Too bad it's been done on the GBC twice.

When was called "Metal Walker" and it had a whole different battle system but kept the idea of collecting robots. The other game was called "Robopon" and it had a special cartcridge with an infared port for getting robots out of infared from things like remote controls. It had two editions like the original and new Pokemon.

Just because a game has the ability to collect critters doesn't mean it will be sucessful as Pokemon. Got to innovate more than that.
CaptKevMan
Unregistered

Like I said, it was intended as a satire of Pokemon (well, OK...I used the word "spoof" before). The collectible aspect would be the upgrades and enhancements (which would have near universal compatibility), not the robots themselves. Making the upgrades/enhancements limited and/or unique would be the key to maintaining the competitive community aspect of the game.

...but thanks for mentioning the other titles; I'm not all that familiar with GameBoy titles, so I was unaware that something similar had been done before.

edit: [hrmm....on second thought...]
...I guess it's not really like Pokemon at all, except for the collectible/exploration parts. I guess it'd be more along the lines of Everquest, since what I'm picturing is more of a FPS-type 3-D immersive environment. Kinda like UT/Q3/etc, only with an expansive world where people can interact with each other.

One of these days, I'm going to actually get around to writing down more than a few notes on each of my ideas.... Rolleyes
griffin239
Unregistered

It's actually a cool idea, especially if one had the money for "REAL" robots and real robot parts.
Considering the success of that robot fighting show on Comedy Central.

Just reading the thread title I instantly thought :
"TERMINATOR! I CHOOSE YOU!"

Put any ideas of MMORPG out of your mind until you have millions of dollars of venture capital to swing around like so many bottles of beer on the wall.

I had a similiar idea years ago, where robot battles ended in the usual destruction of the enemy
but the player could then grab the broken parts laying around to build himself up to a massive
self repairing super bot.

I bought a game that almost used this concept for the Playstation...forget the name, and the game was horrible. But they used the concept. You the female borgish thing went after invading borgish things, when you killed them they fell apart and you could pick up their pieces to repair yourself.

Based on the general game concept it worked more "realisticly" than the usual game thing where you kill a monster with a kiloton explosive attack and he drops a health potion in a bottle that isn't shattered to peices by your attack. uh-huh sure.

Possibilites of this game:
Corporate Tech Wars, bots or agents invade megacorporate headquaters to steal tech.
Successful level completion lets you level up your armor/weapons/ablities.
Levels could go back and forth from invasion to defense of your corporate headquaters.

World Spanning Tech Wars, same thing, only across planet systems. Maybe planet x has better tech than you and only stealth and skill will get you past their better defense/offense. Again levels could swap back and forth between offense and defense.

This game would work as an FPS for sure. It could also work as a simulation like Galactica.
Or a Final Fantasy VII kind of adventure if one was to write a detailed story to build on.

It could also work in a Virtua Fighter/Mortal Combat kind of way. Or even a Myth kind of engine type of thing...which would make for a very fun adventure commanding troops of various tech robots and human/alien infantry invading Corporate City-states or invading planets.

What would be the ULTIMATE GOAL however, a planet smashing weapon system?
Planet moving jump gate? wooo. Domination of a galaxy? hmmm.

I'm veering off the Pokemon collection spoof since Transformers and DigiMon and I'm sure in Asia Mech-Warrior and Gundam already encompass this craze.

This could be succesful as a cell-phone game too, where cell phone users could challenge each other on the train home from work to raise their battle skills, or technology.

CaptKevMan, get out your pencil or your 3D or image editing app and doodle up some concepts, slap a © on your game!

{Edited}...damn my spelling has gone straight down the pipe! Glad no one called me on it.
How about MMORPG Spelling Bee/Essay writing game...typos followed by a carriage return would
do damage to your student Smile "CyberSlayerBoy mispelled 'chrysanthemum' KABLAM KABLAM KABOOM, LilChiaPetGrrl4 is dominating!"
I created a design for a robot RPG, too. Way different from the games I mentioned.

My game would take place in a 3D world, special customization system for each robot, and it has a special fighting system. I have yet to add a plot and story to the game, but having those things in place was decent enough for me. My battle system would be a hybrid of the fighting genres and RPGs.

You buy and take parts from battles and add them to your robots. You have two types of robots: light and heavy. Each one can be equipped with certain types of equipment. For example, a heavy-type can have treads instead of feet and carry arm cannons instead of hand-weapons.

For battling, you choose a party of a certain number of robots. Once a battle occurs, the robot with the fastest speed gets to choose who to fight. So it targets a certain opponent, and only those two robots can fight like in a fighting-game style battle. Each robot has certain weapons and combos. The battle between the two robots last for about 10 to 30 seconds, losing hit points or losing the battle. Then you take turns based on the speed level. You get two types of moves in battle: Defend and Attack. From that, you can set four for each type from a list of compatible moves that you keep as your robots get more experience. Certain moves for certain robots of course. And the battlefield has places to hide and such. So it adds to the fun and skill.

We could probably work on a project together Smile
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by griffin239
Corporate Tech Wars, bots or agents invade megacoporate headquaters to steal tech.
Harry the Handsome Executive LOL Ambrosia Game.
CaptKevMan
Unregistered

Just reading the thread title I instantly thought :
"TERMINATOR! I CHOOSE YOU!"

LOL bwahahaha!

Put any ideas of MMORPG out of your mind until you have millions of dollars of venture capital to swing around like so many bottles of beer on the wall.
:ohmy: I'm just a dreamer/idea guy. I'm not an investment broker. Wink

I
This could be succesful as a cell-phone game too, where cell phone users could challenge each other on the train home from work to raise their battle skills, or technology.
Wow !!! That's freaking brilliant! That would be an excellent platform for a variation of this theme!!!

CaptKevMan, get out your pencil or your 3D or image editing app and doodle up some concepts, slap a © on your game!
Blush ...that's the embarrassing part. I can © it all I want, but if it just sits in a notebook or lost in a stack of unrealized ideas, it doesn't do anyone any good. I figure by sharing these ideas with the dev community, they at least have a better chance of having something happen with them than if I keep them filed in The Lost Archives 'til I die.

I'd love to collaborate on a project, and I may still...I just have too many ideas and too little time right now (what with my full time job & being a family guy w/2 rugrats).

I'm really glad I found this place, though. (I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm glad to be here still Wink )
griffin239
Unregistered

I'm a full time dad...every time I sit down to concentrate on some work I get about 2% of it down,
and then its "Don't DO That!!" or a hand full of butt and Aquaphora...aaaah parental bliss.

Its still possible though. Especially if you have an income.
Just take it one day, one paragraph at a time.
Make a skeleton of the concept you know :

My Game Idea # 1
I. Concept
II. Methods
III. Details
IV. Variant a b and c
V. Misc thoughts
VI. References

just like ye olde junior high essays.
Give it a week to create that, another week to mull it over, then a week
of editing. If your an idea man, formulate as completely as possible.

Its a lot like learning guitar or other art skill, 30 minutes of some kind of work
a day is progress, and progress does wonders for your personal development...
as well as your grame development.

Since this so far is a fairly cool game concept, ...you coder guys should
bang your heads with CaptKevMan for a uDevGame
If you already downloaded T3D there is a AT-ST Walker you can use
as a stand in to temporarily formulate your idea until a better bot or two is found.
T3D is offline for a bit now, new build broke the old demo, lots of update for me to do.
CaptKevMan
Unregistered

Thanks much for the words of encouragement. Maybe I'll start being productive yet.... Huh
CaptKevMan
Unregistered

GAH! NOOOO!

http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/view.php?id=4

:ohmy:

Dangit! Late to the punch, as usual!

Mad

...oh, well...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to do fighting games? Taxxodium 15 13,137 Jul 18, 2006 05:30 AM
Last Post: Syemon
  Examples of when fighting is fun in action-adventure games monteboyd 23 11,555 Nov 25, 2003 07:38 AM
Last Post: ERaZer
  Best fighting game interface? Max 11 8,324 Jul 25, 2003 07:24 PM
Last Post: applekid