sci fi FPS using quake 3 engine concept

DTMDoc
Unregistered

Howdy everyone

I'm new to these parts but I had an idea. I am not a programmer at all, but am considering starting to learn. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in collaborating on making a FPS using the quake 3 engine (or other engine that others would recommend). It is a sci-fi genre game with influences from Starship Troopers (by Heinlein, not the butchered movie version) against alien races also armed in armored suits.

I was wondering if this sounds like a doable project or even if anyone wants to collaborate?

Thanks in advance.
Quote this message in a reply
macboy
Unregistered

It sounds doable but more like something you'd want to do with a Duke Nukem or Doom engine.

Maybe somebody could even create a new one. Smile
├ľor even Aleph One/Marathon, which is probably more flexible and extensible than the engines macboy mentioned.

More details of the project would also be nice, ie. whether the project is intended to be commercial or a freeware mod, etc. (just posting as a suggestion, currently I can't collaborate on anything outside of college Sad )

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
I think q3 engine is out of the question unless you have a budget with six figures.
DTMDoc
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by David
I think q3 engine is out of the question unless you have a budget with six figures.
definitely not q3 Smile
DTMDoc
Unregistered

to give more specifics, this concept is based on an RPG system I had worked off and on with since I was about 11 years of age. The game features personal powered armor suits with a vast array of weapon systems and is customizable.

i would like to have an FPS system which features two modes; combat in and out of the suit. I also would like to have the ability to customize the armored suits just as in the game (similar to Mechwarrior). In addition, I would like to have different weather conditions plus terrain types (including urban)

maybe this might be a bit rich, but i would like also have a terrain editor and multiplayer capability (even with rendezvous?). Smile

what do you guys think?

TIA
burden
Unregistered

A "budget with six figures" only applies if you need access to Q3's engine source and/or have commercial intentions.

There's probably no reason why this couldn't be done as a mod.
DTMDoc
Unregistered

so which would be better to do?

a mod for q3? or using another engine entirely?
Afaik there's no way to make q3 mods on the mac, and if you do you would be extremely confined, but the built-in netcode and everything would be helpful. Of course if you want to sell it then that probably wouldnt work.
griffin239
Unregistered

DTM where do your skills lie?

Start building yourself at least some demo ideas, we have the foundations for you to start, if it grows into a worthwhile project then perhaps we'll push our engine back on the commercial game track.

Are you talking about RIFTS RPG from Palladium?

As for Sci Fi FPS game with Armor on/Armor Off, you should try to find SHOGO: MAD, it was so great!!! Or ALien Vs. Predator. There are Starship Trooper mods from Quake(s) and Unreal Tournament already, PC people beat us too it.

I loved Heilein's Troopers, and just read the movie script the other night, which was a great bloody gore fest even more than the wonderfully hacked and splattered film. Thing is in the Troopers book they did like 2 mile in the air jumps in power suites and dropped 2kiloton nuclear explosives on their targets. SOUNDS GREAT! Would make an awesome Myth mod, if there were only Mac Tools as once was promised for Myth III engine.

You might want to write a more complete story of the game, then try to visualize a scene or two in T3D..don't worry about the action parts, just a visualization to start will be much further along than just having an idea based on someone else idea that some people have already licensed, ruined and sold before: there was supposed to be a Starship Troopers game I saw it at E3 1998, it was so lame they ended up calling it Armourines instead.

Ok man, on the Bounce!
Quote:Originally posted by DTMDoc
so which would be better to do?

a mod for q3? or using another engine entirely?

Popular theme (though these are based on the movie)...

Quake3: http://www.bug-zone.net/
Quake2: http://www.planetquake.com/webyte/rough/
Quake1: http://www.planetquake.com/elf/sst.shtml

By your description, I'd say your engine of choice should be http://www.garagegames.com/ terrains and networking are it's strong points, and it's cheap. Unfortunately the only way to model for it at the moment is through 3DSMax on a PC - the terrain/mission editor is built into the engine, and most Quake map editors can be used for interiors (as long as the data is compiled on a PC).

If you have to choose a Quake, go with Quake 1. Mac tools for the others are lacking. Forget about vast levels though...
DTMDoc
Unregistered

i did like Shogo MAD a lot. the only thing is the armor in this game is close to human scale, not like a small building in shogo MAD.

and in answer to someone's question about skills, i dont know how to program, but i have every intention to learn. i want to see this game grow into fruition. i have wanted this since i was a kid.
griffin239
Unregistered

You can use Lightwave and the DTS export from gnometech.com to model in Torque, but that is not your main roadblock, C++ and C script are your major learning curve. Download RealmWars and mess about in the scripts and editor for free to see what I mean. I hit the roadblock I'm mentioning above and teamed up to make T3D instead...we have our script language that to me seems an awful lot less complicated than anything else I've seen available.

A prototype level that may or not cover all the features you
desire is only a month of dedicated work away. And a prototype will take you much
further than just a idea.

As far as skills go, evaluate your skills in this way.
Can you doodle basic idea sketches, 3 very basic flat views of expected models can help a 3D modeler get to work on the models.
Can you write and clearly communicate simple game concepts, that lays the foundation
for the project and gets it rolling.
Can you maintain a web site or peer to peer server to keep the dev team posted on progress and materials?
Can you do voice overs or sound effects?
Can you provide any basic artwork, like the crusty dusty landscape of a long off bug planet or its eerie methane sky?

Did I miss anything?

Coding is a long hard road if you are just starting out. In my experience
even attempting to learn C or C++ kills the fun of the concept that inspires the desire to learn it... thousands of lines of code lay before you, and the first thousands of lines of code you have to learn do nothing to get your game even started. Kind of like the first 12 years of school do nothing to get you a job that can pay any kind of rent outside of the slums.

If you want to learn to program, do it, but have a means to stay creative in the meantime.

Another word to the wise, everyday on every game dev site people show up with "I have a great idea for a game, I can't code.", they never get support from the devs, ever, unless maybe they
have money to spend, then maybe, just maybe they might get a few weeks of work. Mostly
the projects crumble to dust before they are even given a chance. Time constraints of artists and such alone is a ruling factor in the demise of a million good ideas.

By the way, where in New York are you? Manhattan?
There's a game dev meet up going on next week.
DTMDoc
Unregistered

i got T3D. thanks for the sage advice. i am a complete novice, but i will work on making a level. i dont have lightwave (or rather the full version). which would be better to start with? maya or lightwave?

i live outside of manhattan actually.

once again, thanks for your advice.
Matt Brown
Unregistered

Maya's better. Lightwave's cheaper. Maya runs for as much or more as a new Mac, and I'm not sure about Lightwave. Haven't actually used either of them myself, but Maya is generally considered too expensive a toy to use on a game that dosen't have a six-or-seven figure budget, and a label like Square or Tecmo on it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Quake engine snickrep 10 5,983 Oct 2, 2003 11:58 AM
Last Post: applekid