whats a mud?

mark_battista
Unregistered

as in online gaming, if someone could explain to me what these r it would be much appreciated. Ta
regards
mark
Quote this message in a reply
Multi-User-Dungeon

It's usually text based adventure game/RPG played over the net. Characters (avatars) explore using commands such as "east", "west", etc. You can play MUDs through a telnet client or a specialized "MUD Client."

From http://www.mudconnect.com/mudfaq/mudfaq-p1.html
Quote:A MUD (Multiple User Dimension, Multiple User Dungeon, or Multiple User Dialogue) is a computer program which users can log into and explore. Each user takes control of a computerized persona/avatar/incarnation/character. You can walk around, chat with other characters, explore dangerous monster-infested areas, solve puzzles, and even create your very own rooms, descriptions and items. You can also get lost or confused if you jump right in, so be sure to read this document before starting.

"Programmers are tools for converting caffeine into code."
furballphat
Unregistered

Basically, a mud (or multi user dungeon/dimension) is an online text based multiplayer game. You access them by telneting into the server and entering text commands.

You can find out a lot more about them at http://www.mudconnector.com . Personally, I'd recommend Achaea (http://www.achaea.com)
mark_battista
Unregistered

cheers im wanting to take an old mud game and compare and contrast it with a more recent online game such as unreal or something. Analyse the genre theory and agencies that characterise them, and then go on to discuss the future of gaming, which I consider to lie online from what people have talked about in other threads I've started. Have mud games changed much over the years? Are they still as popular as ever because ive never heard of them before?b Can anyone reccomend an old mud game for me to analyse?
thx
regards
mark Battista
Founder
If I recall, MUDs not only allowed for people to play games, but also allowed for "wizards" or DMs or whatever they were called to ADD to the gaming world. I recall MUDs were the rage when I was doing my CS minor, and probably led many CS majors to flunk out of many courses.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
swcrissman
Unregistered

The best mud I've personally had experience with that I know to be currently active is Gemstone III. It's been around for at least 10 years or so, maybe longer, for all I know. You can find out more about it at www,gemstoneiii.net. It used to be available via AOL for a per hour charge, but they've gone to a flat rate since that time. They are actively developing for it, and always expanding.

When I used to play like 8 years ago, I'd say there were more people playing, say, 1600 peak, and 1100 typical users in the 'world' at any given time. Now I'd say there's maybe a similar peak, but typically only 800 or so users logged in at a time. I think alot of the people who used to play still play, but there is less 'new blood' coming in, so to speak, as most younger people play the graphical MMORPGs, like Everquest and such.

Anyway, that's my input. You can get a free 30 days or so to try the game out, which should be enough for your research, if you want to investigate a commercial game. As other will surely point out, there are many free games of a similar nature out there, but I've not found one with the same scope as GS3, personally.

Spencer
Quote:cheers im wanting to take an old mud game and compare and contrast it with a more recent online game such as unreal or something. Analyse the genre theory and agencies that characterise them, and then go on to discuss the future of gaming, which I consider to lie online from what people have talked about in other threads I've started. Have mud games changed much over the years? Are they still as popular as ever because ive never heard of them before?

MUDs have changed a lot over the years, just like all video games. Compare Pong to Virtua Tennis and you've got an idea of how far they've come. Some people (and I'm one of them) argue that today's MMORPGs are just another form of MUD. In fact, there was a rumor a few years back that Everquest was based on the Diku codebase, one of the original MUDs back in the day.

Alas, they've lost much of their popularity over the years. Several years ago they were pretty much the only multiplayer game in town, but they've slowly started to die out as games like Everquest started showing up. The most popular ones are still around and doing quite well, but the days when everyone and their mother ran a MUD that could easily get 30-40 people on at all times are long gone.
mark_battista
Unregistered

excellent i'll check that gemstone 3 out. I satated playing one last night called the timewheel or something and altho it was a little hard at first to work out what to do it fast became addictive.
regards
mark
My favorite has always been Tempora Heroica . Worth checking out.

-Jon
mark_battista
Unregistered

so why have they started dying out? Whats so bad about them and good about other online games? Why do people no longer want to play muds and whu are there so many of them?
rgards
mark battista
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by mark_battista
so why have they started dying out? Whats so bad about them and good about other online games? Why do people no longer want to play muds and whu are there so many of them?
rgards
mark battista
I think that the fact that most aren't graphical turns most new gamers around, plus the fact that there's new, "cooler", 3D games. People won't play them if they're not introduced to them and most people that play them now have been playing them since they were really popular.
I think the reason MUDs aren't quite so popular as other online games is simply that they're text-based. Besides the fact that having good graphics attracts a lot of attention to a game, many people simply don't have the patience to read and process large amounts of text; it's usually easier to just look at a picture on the screen than it is to read a description of your surroundings and then visualize them. Also, MUDs would tend to be slower-paced than most online games, which makes them somewhat unappealing to gamers raised on Quake and Unreal Tournament.

In a sense, the arrival of major online role-playing games has done to MUDs what graphical adventures such as Myst did to text-based adventure games: while many text adventures are just as enjoyable as graphical adventure games and people continue to play them, text adventures aren't nearly as popular as they once were, simply because graphic-based games are more marketable and easier for most people to play.

Marketing is a major part of this; most people aren't going to spend too much time looking online for games as relatively obscure as MUDs are when it's much easier for them to go to a store and pick up a copy of Everquest. It's also unlikely that MUDs are ever going to become mainstream, just because the concept seems so archaic to most people. People want to play buzzword-compliant games with nice screenshots, and wouldn't have enough interest in a text-based game to bother finding out whether it's actually fun to play.

However, I don't see MUDs dying out completely anytime soon; besides the fact that it's much easier for hobbyist programmers and RPG fanatics to put together a MUD than for them to put together a full-blown MMORPG, the text-based format of MUDs allows for a much more flexible experience: for example, the person running the MUD could modify or add on to the gameworld fairly easily, whereas changing an MMORPG's gameworld would require far more time and effort.
I was inspired to start writing a mud client because of Avatar mud. Muds are still lots of fun IMO.

my client

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
ichiboo
Unregistered

I personaly like a MUD called Mirkwood. It's LOTR based. mirkwood.mud.org:4000 in case people wanna try it. It's ussually pretty active, with over 40 people on at once. (Dunno if that is active, compartivly speaking to other muds, but it's definitly good for this mud Smile). Anyway, I grew up with an Apple IIe, playing the original Zorks, so I love MUDs Smile

-KyleB