Trying to use SDL crashes GDB(?)

Goober
Unregistered

Hi there.

I'm getting a problem when trying to debug my game (ported from Windows) on OSX. I thought the best/easiest way to do this would be to use SDL, and I have a version of the game running under Windows that uses SDL (there is also a native Windows version).

The problem is I want to debug my app under OSX to sort out some porting issues (mostly to do with the file formats), but whenever I try debugging the app GDB has a fit and comes back with the following messages:

[SOURCECODE]warning: Unable to read symbols from "@executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL"; reading from memory.
/SourceCache/gdb/gdb-250/src/gdb/macosx/macosx-nat-dyld-process.c:505: internal-error: assertion failure in function "dyld_load_library": e->dyld_valid

A problem internal to GDB has been detected. Further debugging may prove unreliable.

The Debugger has exited due to signal 6 (SIGABRT).[/SOURCECODE]

The SDL framework is actually installed to /Library/Frameworks, so I don't know why the debugger is looking near the executable (which is somewhere on my desktop).

I managed to get so far with just outputting debug information to a file as the app runs, but I've hit a brick wall with that and I need to debug properly. As you can see, this is proving to be somewhat troublesome.

Thanks for any help,

Goober
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
You might (for some strange reason) need to have the SDL framework inside your application bundle. There's a tutorial on how to do this properly on CocoaDevCentral.com, or you could just copy it to MyApp.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL.framework by hand and see if that helps.
DJBlufire
Unregistered

I ran into that same problem before, and couldn't debug anything that had SDL in it. I think the solution to that is to build the SDL framework yourself with debugging symbols on, because i think they are off by default... but I haven't really tried that yet. Just something to think about...
henryj
Unregistered

You shouldn't have to do this unless it's SDL that you're trying to debug. OSC's suggestion should work
Goober
Unregistered

if I were a woman I might offer to bear OneSadCookie's children, but I'm not, so I'll just have to say "thanks". This works a treat. And the strange reason I have to do this? I'm a Windows programmer originally Blush Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cocoa: NSRectFillListWithColors crashes Lycander 0 2,023 Aug 23, 2009 10:33 PM
Last Post: Lycander
  Full Screen OpenGL Crashes Blacktiger 13 8,040 Feb 19, 2009 02:39 PM
Last Post: backslash
  Multitexture Crashes Jake 6 3,690 Sep 6, 2004 12:46 PM
Last Post: Jake