the future of computer games?

Quote:Originally posted by ThrottleMonkey
Right now, FPS's lean too heavily into HUGE weapons, when all the fun comes from in-your-face fighting. Everyone loves knife fights and pistol whipping... and everyone complains when it comes to shotguns doing too much damage and rockets flying everywhere.

So hey... make a game where there's BRAWLING! A bar level where you can pick up and throw and bash glass bottles and chairs over your buddy's head. Have a grappling system (jedi knight II has a sabre-lock system that just needs a bit of tweaking) where you click fast to overpower the opponent. Throw in some action moves like diving and rolling. It just frustrates me to no end to see a perfectly good FPS get stupid by adding too-powerful weapons, etc.

I'm going to stop now.

Hmm, you are partly right but the FP view isn't good for melee combat and things like that. And besides, nobody likes knife fight, people like when they manage to kill someone with the knife since it sucks. But all this talk about fighting makes me dream about a multiplayer Oni style game... That would rock.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered

I have been doing a lot of reading lately about game design issues. I recently saw a talk on the declining importants of graphics (RealVideo at Gamasutra, link from article), and it inspired me to write a new article, looking at the talk from various angles. You can read it here:

http://homepage.mac.com/brentgulanowski/...index.html

Comments welcome.
macboy
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by ThrottleMonkey
Right now, FPS's lean too heavily into HUGE weapons, when all the fun comes from in-your-face fighting. Everyone loves knife fights and pistol whipping... and everyone complains when it comes to shotguns doing too much damage and rockets flying everywhere.
Try David's Black Shades. You can download it in the uDevGame 2002 downloads section. Smile
Founder
Feanor,
I'd love to mirror that article so people can always find it. Send me mail if you are hip.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
The future of games?

Two words:
*Stunnig Graphics*
oh, and stunning music and sounds.
It' s REALLY all you need.
Make the worlds most unplayable (click click) and unoriginal game (Diablo) but give him 5 cd' s full of the greatest graphics and music and, really, the playability comes by itself, and loads of customers.
Make the worlds most addictive and fun game with bad graphics (Zangband rules) and only I will play it.

And the music, oh yes, music to control their minds and their emotions.

This said Zarathustra.