Which 3G Touch for newbie developer?

Nibbie
I've searched this forum and Googled to the best of my ability, and now I come humbly before you with this question:

Which 3G iPod Touch would be better for 3-D game development testing, the 8GB or the 32GB?

I realize that the 8GB does not have Open GL ES 2.0, which initially sounds like it might be an advantage? since the device will run at a speed closer to the rest of the ipod touch and iPhone world?

(I also realize that in an ideal dev shop, I'd have more than one device for testing, but I'm just starting out and my budget is tiny.)

Hmm... in the process of asking this question I'm coming around to think that I should spend the additional $100 so I can test with Open GL ES 2.0 hardware.

Given my budget restraint limiting me to one device, is there a reason or a set of reasons why the 8GB might be a better choice? (other than saving $100, which is of course not pocket change, but I can afford either one at the moment.)

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
If you need an iPod touch stricktly for development, go with the 8GB. However if you plan to use it as your main iPod for music, get the 16 or 32 GB version. 8GB for music is too little

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
I agree with Taxxodium, but I think you are on the right track in thinking the 8GB would be good because it is a better representation of what most users have. I have an 8GB touch primarily for development (and some gaming on the train Wink ) and it has suited me fine. But I also already have a 32GB iPod classic for music.
Taxxodium Wrote:8GB for music is too little

Depends. I never did manage to fill up my original 4 GB iPhone.
For your first/only device I'd get the 8GB one so you can have the slower device for testing. Of course, if you can afford it, get both. Grin
Taxxodium Wrote:If you need an iPod touch stricktly for development, go with the 8GB. However if you plan to use it as your main iPod for music, get the 16 or 32 GB version. 8GB for music is too little

I believe the slower device (and better for development purposes) is the iPhone 2G, which runs about 200Mghz slower then the slower ipod.
Nibbie
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and opinions.

The wife, who keeps the keener eye on our budget, will be happy to hear that the 8GB will do. I'm guessing I'll also use the thing as a personal iPod, but I don't need a huge library. Most of my music listening is via streams at work or at the home office anyway.
atoms Wrote:Most of my music listening is via streams at work or at the home office anyway.

Heh, yeah Spotify has meant I now only use my iPod on public transport. Today I'm using Grooveshark
If you're just one man or a small shop starting out, don't worry about ES 2.0 yet. You'll be forced to do ES1 just because those will be the majority of the market for a long time; ES2 support is unavoidably extra work over and above the ES1 path and only feasible with multiple coders.

Also, you do want to use an ES1 device for performance testing, as it is significantly slower than the latest ones in every respect and also has half the RAM.