Playing the game you' re programming

Komick
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Zwilnik
You should always play your own games (if you're not writing them for you to enjoy, who else will enjoy them ?) but you should always get feedback from trusted testers. My particular group of testers can make a single line print statement crash Smile They're also good at knowing what sort of data is most important and what to note down.

You're very lucky. I've always found it hard to find testers who could offer constructive criticism - you know, something other than "I like it" or "It sucks" - especially amongst non-programmers. I did most of my early game programming in the days before the internet was popular, so I had to test my games by playing them myself.

But hey, if you're not going to play your own games, why should anybody else?
Quote this message in a reply
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Most H2O testers say "It's so cute", "Do something about the randomly generating music. It sucks.", or "LOL! That's hilarious!". For Flash games, you must test them on like every platform from Linux to Mac OS 8 to Windows XP Pro to Palm OS 5.
Quote:Originally posted by Komick
You're very lucky. I've always found it hard to find testers who could offer constructive criticism - you know, something other than "I like it" or "It sucks" - especially amongst non-programmers. I did most of my early game programming in the days before the internet was popular, so I had to test my games by playing them myself.

But hey, if you're not going to play your own games, why should anybody else?

give me your game, I am the best for what you need, just ask Dr. Light Wink
Komick
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by skyhawk
give me your game, I am the best for what you need, just ask Dr. Light Wink

Thanks, I'll hold you to that. The last game I wrote was in HyperCard, some 9 yrs ago... so nothing needs testing just yet. Right now I'm trying to model a multi-agent simulation based on a simplified version of Maslow's heirarchy of needs. Not really a game, but could be fun to watch. Smile
I definitely would have to vouch for skyhawk here, he's great. Jabber and my other guy are great too, but skyhawk's turnaround is fast, yet amazingly technical and thourough. Jabber and my other are definitely needed as well also though, cause they catch different stuff and also might give another vital angle or opinion on the problem. Plus, they're my OS9 testers. So, make sure you have more than one tester, and make sure skyhawk is one of them. You'll do good to snag jabber as well. Smile

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Starting in on game programming Flintlock 16 9,884 Oct 13, 2009 06:50 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  game programming as an artform antadam 18 8,095 Feb 21, 2003 03:58 PM
Last Post: Zachary