PhotoElements 2.0 and Alpha channel

Can you add an alpha channel to an image in Elements the way I described above with the Channels palette?
Quote this message in a reply
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by monteboyd
Can you add an alpha channel to an image in Elements the way I described above with the Channels palette?

Selected channels in the Channels palette of Photoshop. Photoshop Elements doesn't have a Channels palette.

This is what I get when I do a search on channels in PE2.0? I am trying to figure out if PE2.0 is worth the money or if I should break down and buy Photoshop7 when I have the money. I don't know if anyone else has DSL or cable but if they would care to download and try out PE2.0 and see if I am correct in my asumptions that you can't do alpha? Oh and no I don't see a channels anywhere in the windows menu.
Luminary
I have used Photoshop Elements to create images with alpha. It works. I don't know why it's not working for you.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
I have used Photoshop Elements to create images with alpha. It works. I don't know why it's not working for you.

thats why i am asking if someone has a step by step process to let me compare on how i am doing it vs someone else who is doing it correctly? I am no artist and never really use art programs. Really how hard is it supposed to be to add a alpha channel for petes sake!!
Luminary
This image was created entirely with Photoshop Elements:

[Image: Texture.png]

(Download it to disk & look at it in PSE2 or GraphicConverter if you don't believe me that it has alpha!)

To make it, I made a new image and set the content to transparent. Then I used the gradient tool with a semitransparent gradient to make the blue fade, then I applied a skin effect to it to make it scaly and set the opacity of the scaly layer to 45% so I could see the gradient through it. Then I saved it as PNG.
Mars_999
Unregistered

yes your image works i can see through the one side when it over the top of another image. But thats great if your making the whole image in PE2, but what I am doing is taking an image and cutting it out from another texture and pasting it onto the new image made in PE2 with transparency and having no luck? e.g. Carlos Yaxxon ships dont' have alpha so I am trying to add it to them. No luck.
Luminary
Try this (my home trial of pse2 has expired so i can't check it works 'til tomorrow):

Open a Yaxxon ship pic & find the size
Make a new image with the same size but transparent to begin
copy & paste the yaxxon ship's picture into the new doc
use magic wand to select all the black pixels
edit->clear
What OSC said should work. I have PE1 and I don't know why it would be different for PE2.
Mars_999
Unregistered

I dont' know what to say, expect I am pissed. When I do what OSC said I have a white background showing up with the ship on the screen when its loaded. But yes the magic wand did remove he black around the ship which works great. I tried this alpha stuff on my folks PC and sent me the image and no luck either I guess what I am saying is it must be possible but I am doing it wrong. What am I doing wrong? How hard can this crap be? Their must be a logical order which has to be done in order for it to work then? Does alpha come first do I set opacity first? Is their some settings somewhere that have to be modified? Their could be a billion things wrong. I dont' know? I can't get it to work in GFXConverter either? What sick is their is no tutorial or instructions anywhere in either software package to show you how to do it correctly. What a joke.
Luminary
I just followed my own instructions and got a Yaxxon ship on a transparent background.
Mars_999
Unregistered

ok, does it matter what color you have for the alpha channel? I am using white i guess? I think I finally got it to work, but like i said their must be a specific way to do it because I have been just using keyboard short cuts and never got it to work. Now I did what you wrote again but used select all and paste into instead of paste? And still used the magic wand as usual. So what gives? Paste into is different than past? I have to use select all? Like I said I am no Photoshop expert by any means. Blush
Sage
I seem to remember that PSE 2 was really limited in it's use of alpha chanels. You should be able to create a new document with an alpha, or use the eraser tool on an image that already has an alpha chanel to edit it.
I just ended up getting PS7 for the educational price (which may not be an option to you). I paid 3x more, but it is so much more powerful than PSE2.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Quote:Originally posted by Skorche
I seem to remember that PSE 2 was really limited in it's use of alpha chanels. You should be able to create a new document with an alpha, or use the eraser tool on an image that already has an alpha chanel to edit it.
I just ended up getting PS7 for the educational price (which may not be an option to you). I paid 3x more, but it is so much more powerful than PSE2.

Or you could try the Gimp, if you have x11 set up. I'll admit its not Photoshop, but its free and has all the layer/channel options that Photshop does. The interface is quite disturbing, though.
Sage
GIMP is leaps and bounds more powerful than PSE2. It's interface is 100% GTK, so it by no means looks like anything you've seen before. I used it for a year before getting PS7, the only complaint that I have against it is that it doesn't integrate with OSX well. That may change because it's being ported to aqua. It is well documented, and there are some great tutorials.
If you are interested in this option download fink, it's a fairly painless way to install all sorts of X11 and UNIX software easily.
Fink Link (Yes, I am a world class poet in case you're wondering)

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
w_reade
Unregistered

The Gimp's asleep.

sorry, couldn't resist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Photoshop Sprites With Alpha Channel Nick 22 18,167 Nov 26, 2006 06:25 PM
Last Post: jarfish
  Adobe Photoshop & and Photoelements 2.0? Mars_999 6 4,573 Feb 27, 2003 11:15 PM
Last Post: Darkgold
  PNG's alpha channel in dim3 ggadwa 5 4,334 Feb 17, 2003 03:05 PM
Last Post: acedia
  Alpha Channel? Josh 8 6,440 Oct 7, 2002 03:50 PM
Last Post: Josh