PhotoElements 2.0 and Alpha channel

Mars_999
Unregistered

I just downloaded the trial version and can't figure out how to add alpha channel into the image? I am starting to think its not possible? If so could someone post a quick step through process or what menu I need to be looking at? thanks
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
It's a wee while since I've done this, but when you're creating a new document you can choose "transparent" for the background...
Mars_999
Unregistered

Thanks OSC I will try it out. I am hoping it works but will have to wait until I try it with my code to see if I get the alpha channel. In Photoshop 6 on the mask or layer section I think their is an option to click on add channel. I don't see this on Photoshop elements 2.0?
Mars_999
Unregistered

Ok I have tried to use alpha on PE2.0 and no luck from what I have seen so far? I am having issues with loading textures up with alpha channel in my code. I know the code works because I have downloaded someones .tiff file with alpha channel and loaded it and it works just fine? So either I am going about it wrong or PE2.0 can't do alpha? I have also tried to use GFXconverter and no luck either? Anyone have any ideas or a good step by step tutorial on how to add alpha to a image so I can see what I am doing wrong?
I've never used PhotoshopElements but in Photoshop you have a "Channels" palette (use the "Window" menu to show it if it is hidden). You want to select "New Channel" from the Channel palette's menu (accessed by the arrow on the top-right corner of the palette).
Luminary
In the content box of the "new file" dialog, there's an option for transparent.
I don't think that will give you an alpha channel though (unless Elements is different to the full version) that will just open the new document with a transparent Background layer.
Luminary
Sure, but when you (for example) save the document as PNG, you'll get a PNG with an alpha channel. It may not let you edit the alpha channel as grayscale, but it does let you do transparency (and in fact varying degrees of opacity, which is alpha by any other name...).
Oh right, so when you save as PNG it turns the transparency into an alpha channel? That's cool, didn't know that.
Mars_999
Unregistered

thats great for pngs but what about .tgas? Or is this only gonig to work for .pngs? Like I said I have used the transparency option and it is not displaying correctly?
Luminary
I image it would work for TGAs. If it doesn't, save as PNG then use Preview to convert the PNG to a TGA, it preserves alpha.
Mars_999
Unregistered

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH nothing is working. If you could please send me some textures you might have that have alpha channel that work for you and let me try to load them and see if my code is correct? Nothing I do with PE2.0/GfxConverter works or Preview? But the one image I have got with alpha worksfine but none that I have created. email addy is mars999@siouxvalley.net thank you for any textures you send. Sad Mad Mad
The tree texture for Slope Rider is a PICT file with an alpha channel.

You can download the game from:

http://www.viper.net.au/~yodashut/
Mars_999
Unregistered

Hey monteboyd thanks for the download, are you refering to tree_tex1.pct? If so when I use gfxconverter to look at it, it says no alpha?
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Mars_999
Hey monteboyd thanks for the download, are you refering to tree_tex1.pct? If so when I use gfxconverter to look at it, it says no alpha?

Whoops disregard that previous post!! What looks like the problem is whenever I take a image that has the alpha channel done correctly and save it to a different format e.g. png tga, in GFX converter or PE2 I am losing the alpha channel? I also can't seem to add it correctly? But yes your tree does work monteboyd. So how do I go about adding alpha the correct way to my images then? So this proves my code is working correctly thank GOD.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Photoshop Sprites With Alpha Channel Nick 22 17,260 Nov 26, 2006 06:25 PM
Last Post: jarfish
  Adobe Photoshop & and Photoelements 2.0? Mars_999 6 4,372 Feb 27, 2003 11:15 PM
Last Post: Darkgold
  PNG's alpha channel in dim3 ggadwa 5 4,100 Feb 17, 2003 03:05 PM
Last Post: acedia
  Alpha Channel? Josh 8 6,129 Oct 7, 2002 03:50 PM
Last Post: Josh