Lightwave character animation

Wheatie
Unregistered

I know people post questions here regarding skeletal animation all the time, but my questions has more to do with Lightwave itself. When I model a character, I can add bones to it in Layout and make decent animations. However, there is no way (that I know of) to find out the bone that each vertex is attached to when I export my model in lscript. Mad

I don't want to add bones while in Modeler, because then I have to deal with VMaps to determine the connections between vertices and bones/skelegons. Does anyone have any experience with using Lightwave for character in animations in games?

David Blyth
Wheatie000@aol.com
Quote this message in a reply
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Export the animation data as a .mot file and use that in your game. Look for the file specs.
Wheatie
Unregistered

I've checked now a couple times for information on the .mot format, but haven't had any luck. Do you know of any specific places with info?

David Blyth
Wheatie000@aol.com
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Checck on NewTek.com for the LWSDK. You'll need it DEFINITELY if you're going to work with LW files. download the HTML docs, also. I'm looking (now) at the section of the docs that describes how to use actual scene files and all of their bone info instead of MOT files (I suggest using MOT files, anyway). the LWSDK is actually aimed at LW plugin developers, and (suprisingly) it contains no MOT file specs. I found em once but I donlt remember where I put them and where I put the app I made. Mad
Wheatie
Unregistered

Thanks for the link, Ian. It looks like useful information.

AJ Infinity - Now that I have found some info on the .mot spec, would I have to export one file per bone in my character? From what I took from the link, that seems like what I would have to do. Thanks for any more help you can give.

David Blyth
Wheatie000@aol.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3ds–OBJ/Lightwave Barclay 2 2,712 Apr 23, 2006 01:26 PM
Last Post: bodini
  how can i use a lightwave object in openGL? zeoworld 4 4,353 Feb 1, 2003 03:16 PM
Last Post: henryj
  Drawing Lightwave Objects Wheatie 5 4,624 Jul 20, 2002 02:30 PM
Last Post: Wheatie