Cocoa & openGL

Are there any decent tutorials available on the net that will explain the workings of Cocoa? I am fairly adept with Java now, and object oriented programming in general so I want to learn Cocoa so i can start writing software and games for OS X and leave carbon behind for good.

or should I just suck it up and buy a book on it? if so, are there any good book out that cover Cocoa with a fair amount of detail?

Also, what are the essential books I must have ( or that any intellignt programmer has) about OpenGL? I really want to learn the API, it seems to play very nicely with Cocoa.

/* Drunk...... fix later.... */
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered

Hey, how's it goin'?

Ideally buy a book. I've got three, though, so you can borrow one if you feel like trekking into Toronto. I'm pretty much finished with Aaron Hillegasse's.

But, first: have you read Inside Cocoa? If not, I strongly urge you to.

Next, write some Cocoa tools and do some things with the Foundation classes, even just one or two projects to get practise with Strings, Arrays and other containers, and such. I'm always telling people "Don't go straight into AppKit or you'll confuse yourself." I stand by that. Foundations first, houses second.

For more specific stuff, see if it's in the MacGame FAQ, first. There are probably FAQs to address your questions already, but I'm too lazy to look up the pointers.

As for OpenGL and Cocoa, well, any C interface works in Cocoa, but it won't feel as "nice" once you are used to messaging -- it will feel "old fashioned".
Personally I got one book: O'Reilly's Building Cocoa Apps. This was enough to get the basics of the AppKit into my head. As for OpenGL, I just rammed my head against the internet untill I successfully implemented OpenGL in Cocoa. All the info is out there on the web, even though it's in a million tiny pieces. Really all you need for OpenGL basics is the red book and that's available online.
http://sp4br75.digiweb.psi.br/TRB_ogl/frame_ogl.htm

All in all, it's really not that difficult.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Texture Loading Cocoa/OpenGL ultitech 1 7,140 Jan 31, 2011 12:51 PM
Last Post: mk12
  Cocoa/OpenGL drawing full-screen problem ultitech 5 8,522 Jan 13, 2011 01:11 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Cocoa OpenGL clapton541 3 5,027 Aug 5, 2007 09:22 PM
Last Post: BenRose3d
  setting up opengl w/cocoa Leroy 5 4,692 Jun 18, 2007 06:00 PM
Last Post: kelvin
  Cocoa OpenGL clapton541 3 4,627 Mar 26, 2007 03:55 AM
Last Post: MattDiamond