text

johnny_north
Unregistered

I've read the faq for using ftgl for text in carbon apps. It seems as though I might need to manually compile the libfreetype.a and libcppunit.a in order to use ftgl. I'm sure libfreetype.a can be compiled from the freetype 2 files, but could someone tell me how to accomplish it? Also, what is libcppunit.a?
Quote this message in a reply
henryj
Unregistered

FTGL doesn't need cppunit. It's a unit testing library and is there for people who want to modify the library and need to check they haven't broken anything.

Freetype has instructions for building the lib in the download. On os x you can run configure ; make ; make install
For os 9 there is a code warrior project.

The code warrior project in FTGL is out of date and unsupported.
johnny_north
Unregistered

Would someone mind holding my hand on this one?
Is the GNU Make installed with 10.2.3? If I run a search, I see a gnumake directory and a GNUSource.make file. Do I need to build GNU Make?

Once this is done, do I need to use the terminal app to run GNUMake from the root of freetype-2.1.4rc2?

Any help would be appreciated.
Feanor
Unregistered

gnu make is a standard part of the BSD install, yes. I have not used the freetype library, but try "configure", "make", "make install" if it uses the autoconf build system. Often, that will be enough. Otherwise, look for a Mac OS X make directory and run make from in there.
henryj
Unregistered

First you need the dev tools installed for make. Then in the freetype-2.x directory type (in a terminal)

./configure
make

At this point you can choose to install the freetype dynamic libs or you can grab the static lib to link against.

to install the dylib...

sudo make install

otherwise the static lib is hidden in the obj/.lib directory (note the dot)

An alternative method is to use fink. I'm pretty sure there is a freetype package there. Or you could ask me nice and I could email you a static lib.
johnny_north
Unregistered

./configure returns the message "command not found" I supose this means that the correct tools are not installed. I've looked at the GNU Make ftp, but I'm a little confused about what to download. I would greatly appreciate having you mail me a copy of the libfreetype.a. If you hit me with an e-mail from my profile address, I'll give you my private address that will accept a larger attachment.

Thanks Henry!
Luminary
You need to cd into the freetype directory before you run any of those commands.
henryj
Unregistered

There is no reason for you to download any tools if you have Apple's developer tools installed.

I think you should try to get this working before I send you anything because it's important that you can built these sorts of libraries if you want to do any serious programming.
johnny_north
Unregistered

I have been trying to run ./configure from the freetype directory. I was reading about unix paths last night. Do I need to do this from the Unix root, or can I do it from any user? The os x manual says to avoid using the root unless it's REALLY necessary (ok I know it's written for non-programmers.) Anyway, this is what I'm experiencing:

[dana-martins-Computer:~/desktop/freetype-2.0.9] danamart% make -v
GNU Make version 3.79, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for powerpc-apple-darwin6.0
Copyright © 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
[dana-martins-Computer:~/desktop/freetype-2.0.9] danamart% ./configure
./configure: Command not found.
[dana-martins-Computer:~/desktop/freetype-2.0.9] danamart% make
builds/win32/detect.mk:61: *** missing `endif'. Stop.
[dana-martins-Computer:~/desktop/freetype-2.0.9] danamart% make install
builds/win32/detect.mk:61: *** missing `endif'. Stop.
henryj
Unregistered

Do an ls -l in the freetype directory. You should have a file called configure and it should be executable...

-rwxr-xr-x 1 henry staff 1475 Jun 14 2002 configure

If you don't have this file go and download freetype again. If you have the file but it doesn't have the x's in the permissions do a chmod...

chmod +x configure

and then try again.
swcrissman
Unregistered

For what its worth, I am having the same issues as johnny. Using ls -l I checked the permissions on the file, and it is executable by anyone, but when I attempt to run it, alla ./configure I get the same error message he already has listed. I even have attempted to give it the full path to the file, but I always get the command not found error message.

Spencer
henryj
Unregistered

Are you using 2.0.9 as well? maybe it's broken and yu shpuld get another version.
swcrissman
Unregistered

I tried it using 2.1.3 and then 2.1.4rc2, with the same results each time. I'm fairly baffled as to what is different under my (and apparently johnny's) setups, as it seems as though you've given a fairly comprehensive set of things that could be wrong, and yet it just isnt working.

Spencer
henryj
Unregistered

In the freetype directory...

ls -l builds/unix/

There should be a configure there too...

-rwxr-xr-x 1 henry staff 294250 Sep 11 2002 configure
blb
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by swcrissman
I tried it using 2.1.3 and then 2.1.4rc2, with the same results each time. I'm fairly baffled as to what is different under my (and apparently johnny's) setups, as it seems as though you've given a fairly comprehensive set of things that could be wrong, and yet it just isnt working.

Spencer

One other possibility: configure is a /bin/sh script, is /bin/sh there and with proper permissions?
Code:
$ ls -l /bin/sh
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  540884 Dec 20 03:09 /bin/sh*