AGL and multisample AntiAliasing under X

oxenos
Unregistered

Hi people, it's me again Wink

I'm trying to do fullscreen antialiasing using multisample. So the question is: is it enough to ask AGL for a multisample buffer with, say, a 4x samples? It seems to work on my radeon video card, but I wonder if this is the general method I should follow with every video card...

thanx in advance for your time!

Paolo
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Do you not have to glEnable(GL_MULTISAMPLE_ARB) or something as well?

Be aware that not all cards may support 4x... it's possible there are some out there that only do 2x, or that in the future some may not support less than 8x...
oxenos
Unregistered

Yes, the MULTISAMPLE_ARB should be enabled (strange enough, on my gfx card it works even if I don't enable it explicitly...)

And about 2x, 4x, 8x etc. How can I figure out what are the gfx board capabilities? Should I try all the different configurations until I find one that works (quite weird...)? Or is it some way to ask AGL?

thanx
Luminary
Quote:Originally posted by oxenos
Yes, the MULTISAMPLE_ARB should be enabled (strange enough, on my gfx card it works even if I don't enable it explicitly...)

I'd consider that a bug. Have you filed a bug report with Apple?

Quote:And about 2x, 4x, 8x etc. How can I figure out what are the gfx board capabilities? Should I try all the different configurations until I find one that works (quite weird...)? Or is it some way to ask AGL?

Um, I don't know, but I remember this was discussed on the mac-opengl mailing list when the extension first became available. You can probably find Apple's answer by searching the archives...
henryj
Unregistered

I've noticed a few times that multi sample is being reported as enabled even though I haven't explicitly enabled it.
oxenos
Unregistered

Ok, so I should enable multisample, and the fact that it's enabled by default should be considered a bug.

thank to all for your time!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  glCopyTexSubImage2D vs antialiasing on iPhone? Mark Levin 4 4,456 Jul 16, 2010 01:46 AM
Last Post: Bersaelor
  Multisample AA Artifacts metacollin 4 4,777 Aug 14, 2009 07:11 PM
Last Post: metacollin
  Antialiasing and NSOpenGLView attributes Jar445 2 6,259 Jan 20, 2009 10:42 AM
Last Post: maximile
  antialiasing polygons honkFactory 37 15,214 Apr 3, 2006 09:19 AM
Last Post: akb825
  Multisample on NVIDIA GeForce 6800 archidea 1 2,787 Nov 8, 2005 12:22 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie