Meshworks Question

Is there a way to group certain objects in Meshworks? I find that when I am making a big project, all I see is thousands of little vertice overlapping, and its impossible to select a certain group of them with all the other vertice in the way.

Sorry if this a simple question, I looked and didnt find anything.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
You can't group, but you can hide unwanted vertices. Hidden vertices can't be selected or moved.
Is that how you guys get around problems with VERY big and complicated models? It seams like there should be some way to group objects (like in the quake one map editor if anyone has used it)
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but if you command-click on a colour box, it selects all vertices connected to triangles of that colour. This way you can group vertices by colour. (Of course you run out of colours very quickly).

Does anyone know why Meshwork only allows 8 (I think) colour boxes??

Anyway, that is the only possible way I know of to acheive a 'grouping' effect in Meshwork.
Luminary
Quote:Does anyone know why Meshwork only allows 8 (I think) colour boxes?

Because it's crap, but being the best that's available, it doesn't have to be updated to earn money?
Ok that 8 color thing will work for what im doing (just a small model for a school project)
Nibbie
Meshwork isn't "crap" it is a really good modeler. I find it esier than amapi 4 for making spaceships. I just wish it had a track ball. I don't think is't really complete without one.
10 Things I Hate About Meshwork:

10. Lack of error handling, especially when importing large DXFs

9. Lack of 3D preview available as one of the viewports, ala 3D Studio Max

8. Should be able to zoom in just one viewport, instead of all 4 at once.

7. When working with large files, I often find that faces magically decide to reverse direction after saving and/or 3D preview.

6. Crappy export. Somehow the faces always get screwed up, eg. facing the wrong direction etc.

5. Textures with alpha is extremely buggy, and in most cases refuses to work on my machine.

4. EXTREMELY buggy Undo "feature". I can't count the number of times the Undo command has reversed faces and changed my materials around randomly.

3. Invisible edges and vertices should appear BEHIND visible edges and vertices.
I get furious when I hide vertices, only to find out I cant select another vertice which is obstructed by the hidden vertice!!! It totally defeats the purpose!

2. I want more freakin' material boxes!!

1. As mentioned before, Meshwork needs GROUPING!!!!
This may be getting OT but...

As OneSadCookie said, we use Meshwork because it is the best available. I don't necessarily agree that it is crap, but it does have a lot of bugs and limitations. Most of these I'm sure Joe Strout is aware of, but seeing as it is home developed shareware he wouldn't have as much time as he would like to improve it.

But competition is always healthy for software development, is anyone interested in working on a modeler for the Mac market? I know I would like to contribute to such a project, but I don't really have the time to project manage it.
Is it just me or does meshwork crash about 50% of the time when you try to undo?

I would contribute to a modeller project but don't want to lead it, because I'm already working on a somewhat demanding project.
Luminary
I've often thought I'd like to do a modeler, but it's such a huge project and I don't even have time for small ones...
Founder
monteboyd,
That is well put. With all the talent we have here, and the ability to get a good feature list, you guys should work on a good little modeler for the Mac. On the other hand, might it be better to just support a tool like Blender/Wingz through some plugin, etc???

> Lack of 3D preview available as one of the viewports, ala 3D Studio Max
Or any other regular 3d app. I think this is one reason why I have never sat down to learn Meshwork. I can't help with coding, but I will help with any GUI or buttons that are needed.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
I've often thought I'd like to do a modeler, but it's such a huge project and I don't even have time for small ones...

I think this is the problem we all have, like David I am working on another large project and would love to contribute to a modeler but don't have the time for management.

It is a huge project but could start small and grow. It wouldn't even be a competitor to Meshwork for a while but eventually would overtake it IF there was someone making sure it was kept alive. Which is of course the problem with any open source project.

Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
On the other hand, might it be better to just support a tool like Blender/Wingz through some plugin, etc???

For myself I'd just be overwhelmed by the code already in those projects. I like Wingz but find it only good for certain types of modelling. I've gone back to Meshwork for most of the stuff for my next game project.

So the question remains, is there anyone out there who can bring the project to life and keep it breathing?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Meshworks problems Jake 10 4,959 May 11, 2003 11:37 PM
Last Post: burden
  Setting up Quesa for Meshworks cheez0r 5 3,853 Mar 20, 2003 09:30 AM
Last Post: griffin239