Anyone using SDL and SMPEG?

DJBlufire
Unregistered

I'm using SDL (specifically SDL_mixer) for cross-platform sound, and I'm having trouble getting the music functionality working, especially with SMPEG (for MP3 support). I was wondering if anyone has used SMPEG and SDL in any of their projects, and what they did to get it working.

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
Mars_999
Unregistered

I would like to help out but I don't have a Mac right now! Mad But when I did I used SDL a lot for my Mac. I never got into the MPEG portion but everything else seemed to work fine in OSX. I guess what is the problem your having?
DJBlufire
Unregistered

I guess it's not really SDL i'm having problems with such much as SDL_mixer, which is a different package, so I dunno if you've run into the problems i'm having or not... I'm just trying to get it to compile with MP3 support.

Anyone had experience with this?
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by DJBlufire
I guess it's not really SDL i'm having problems with such much as SDL_mixer, which is a different package, so I dunno if you've run into the problems i'm having or not... I'm just trying to get it to compile with MP3 support.

Anyone had experience with this?

How about a compiler error or code example of what your trying to do?
DJBlufire
Unregistered

No compiler errors or specific pieces of code, except that I know that there's an assertion failiure here:

[SOURCECODE]assert(audio->rawdatawriteoffset > len);[/SOURCECODE]

in the Play_MPEGAudio function.

I had to butcher a lot of the SMPEG source code to get it to compile, so I'm not really surprised that it's not working somehow.

The effect, if i comment that assertion out, is that the MP3 is played in small parts at a time with clicks in between each part.
wally
Unregistered

I have gotten SMPEG to playback MP3 files. I seem to remember that this required removing the ID3 tag from the file.
DJBlufire
Unregistered

Nevermind, I got it to work (and i didn't have to remove the ID3 tag). It turned out that I was compiling the SMPEG and SDL_mixer libraries just fine, but the only problems were from bad frequency/channel/etc. values I was passing to the mixer's init function.

Thanks for all the help though Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SMPEG on Macintosh parallel 1 2,492 Jul 9, 2005 12:05 PM
Last Post: Skorche
  Sound: SDL_Mixer and SMPEG (mp3's and ogg's) aaronsullivan 5 6,637 Jul 10, 2003 03:47 PM
Last Post: aaronsullivan