milkshape modeler for the mac?

ghettotek
Unregistered

is there a milkshape modeler or exporter for Mac (preferably MacOS X). i cant seem to find one anywhere. thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by ghettotek
is there a milkshape modeler or exporter for Mac (preferably MacOS X). i cant seem to find one anywhere. thanks.

Milkshape is for PC from what I have seen. But you may want to try meshwork. Its for OSX. Here is the link
http://codenautics.com/meshwork/
ghettotek
Unregistered

i want to use ms3d for skeletal animation. the meshwork format doesnt have the functionality i need. i noticed that meshwork models can only hold up to 8 textures/materials. thats a major drawback right there. the bone structure in meshwork seems to have what i need for skeletal animation, but if only the meshwork format was more conventional. i know i could edit the meshwork models to make them hold more than 8 textures, but who wants to do that?
Luminary
I contacted the author of Milkshape a while back about the feasibility of a Mac port. He said that Milkshape is very reliant on the Win32 APIs. He said that if he ever rewrites from scratch, he'd probably try to program it in such a way that it can be ported to the Mac and to Linux, but he didn't seem inclined to start rewriting Sad
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
I contacted the author of Milkshape a while back about the feasibility of a Mac port. He said that Milkshape is very reliant on the Win32 APIs. He said that if he ever rewrites from scratch, he'd probably try to program it in such a way that it can be ported to the Mac and to Linux, but he didn't seem inclined to start rewriting Sad

I vote for OSC to recode Milkshape for Mac OSX!! LOL Wow
ghettotek
Unregistered

its amazing that somebody hasnt written a milkshape exporter for X, or even a plugin for another modeling program.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by ghettotek
its amazing that somebody hasnt written a milkshape exporter for X, or even a plugin for another modeling program.

What good would an exporter be if you have to have a PC to use Milkshape? Unless I am not reading you correctly?
Just wondering... why would you ever possibly want more than eight textures for a model?

Or more than one for that matter... unless you're using it as a map editor.
Quote:Originally posted by David
Just wondering... why would you ever possibly want more than eight textures for a model?

I was wondering this too. It is more effiecient to put all the different textures for one object in one image.
ghettotek
Unregistered

ok. i think i may be missing a feature in Meshwork. when i go to (in Meshwork) Display:Texture Map, a window opens with the texture for the object, but i can't define the texture map coordinates (like it says in the documentation, i should be able to drag the points to a position on the texture image in the Texture Map window, or set the values numerically), all i see is the texture image, and when i click on it, the numeric fields at the top flash for a microsecond. not very useful, although it would be if i could get it to work. this is the reason i was being forced to use 8+ textures. ill go read the documentation again.
Mars_999
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by David

Unless he's making Doom3 or 4? I read they have up to 5 different texture layers for their models? I not 100% on that but id is doing some new high tech stuff from what I have read and been told. Any hoo!! But for the most part should use only one texture and have it store all the models textures in that one file.
To define the texture UV coords in Meshwork you first select "Pinned" mapping mode in the texture info window. Then close that window and select "Texture Map" from (I think) the "Window" menu. Then you can move around your object's UV coords on your texture map.
ghettotek
Unregistered

i know. thats how its supposed to be done. but quite frankly, it doesnt work. its never worked. even on my old mac it didnt work. ive tried every mapping mode (including pinned) and nothing works.
What you might need to do is set your mapping mode to one of the others (planar is usually the most useful in this situation), click Okay to apply it. Then open the texture info window again, select pinned mapping and click Okay. Then open the texure window and you should see your model's vertices spread across the texture and you can click and drag points around.

This works for me.
ghettotek
Unregistered

ahh okay. i got it now. Wacko

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Milkshape 3D Model Animation wquist 3 4,052 May 30, 2011 03:27 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Free Modeler Skorche 6 4,031 Jan 20, 2004 05:36 AM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie