Using a camera object in OpenGL

Hello my friendas!

I have an OpenGL engine, made in C++ and Cocoa.

I use a vector for object position, and a quaternion for object orientation.

When changing one of them I calculate in a matrix.

Everything works fine, except: the Camera.
That is because OpenGL hasn't got a camera. So I generate a normal object, with vector and Quaternion.

But when I multiply the matrix, it's wrong, that's clear, because I have to move the world inverse of the camera before drawing.

So I first have to orient the world matrix in some inverse way (how??)

and then I translate: -x, -y, -z and then I draw.

The translate thing works, but not the orientation.
PLEASE tell me the right thing I should do. should i inverse the matrix before multiplying, or the quaternion, before converting to the matrix, or anything else?

PLEASE, tell me, I already spent weeks on this problem! I can't hear: get a book of linear algebra.
I have everything working, and I don't have the time to study linear algebra, just for one solution, that is already done very often (e.g. in Queasa, Rb3D, QD3D) but I can't get the right source out of Quesa, because I don't understand it.

Please really help and give me an information! Once I thought the solution could be, to scale the whole matrix with -1, but not tested yet!

I thank you very much for a solution and would be VERY, VERY grateful, and help that person alot.

In my old RB engine, I always made a work-around, because in that time, I also searched a solution for weeks, without success. You can imagine, how much I love searching for it. ;-)

demo is here:

thanks and greetings,
Quote this message in a reply
here's how i do it:

for each frame..

1) put the matrix in MODEL VIEW mode

2) you can either create a custom "camera" class to handle the simulation of a camera, or you can do it from whatever scope you choose (ie, drawFrame()). either way, step 2 is to load a new identity, then rotate the matrix in the opposite direction of whatever direction the camera is pointing in.

3) translate (move) the current matrix opposite of where the camera is positioned.

*4) draw all objects. its important that you save and restore the current matrix when drawing objects.

..draw polys, etc...

btw, im not sure if its faster or slower to do it in that order. all i know is that i went through the same problem youre having and this is what i did to solve it.

Yes, that sounds very logical.

The problem is, I have quaternions for the orientation. And for each object I multiply a matrix, calculated from there.

But I think I will just try to let the camera rotate around an object, and try again, with inverse quaternion or inverse 3*3 rotation matrix.

Thanks and greetings,
The easiest way of computing the view matrix in your case looks to be inverting the camera's orientation quaternion -- to do this, first normalize your quaternion, then multiply the x, y and z components of the quaternion by -1 (but leave the w value untouched). Then, transform the entire scene by this quaternion: convert it to matrix form, and multiply the modelview matrix by it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL Pixel Buffer Object setup issue dotbianry 2 4,689 Jan 6, 2013 11:03 AM
Last Post: dotbianry
  Combining OpenGL vertex data into 1 object Jmcclane 0 3,693 Jun 17, 2011 12:03 PM
Last Post: Jmcclane
  how can i use a lightwave object in openGL? zeoworld 4 4,765 Feb 1, 2003 03:16 PM
Last Post: henryj