how fast should this be?

<seb>
Unregistered

hi!

i have written a small program rendering a large piece of terrain. it uses an interleaved array of 500 000 vertices, normals and texVertices, and renders them with a main- and a detail-texture in a single pass using ARB.

there is no quadtree or LOD, no ROAM, no frustrum culling, nothing like that. the whole array is rendered at every frame.

the result i get from that is around 12fps on an athon1000 with a gf4 ti440.

do you think i did a good implementation, or are the results i get slow? fast? what do you think? i am pretty unsure about how many fps i should get from this method ...

any comments welcome!!
Smile
sebastian
Quote this message in a reply
ghettotek
Unregistered

this is just my opinion, but i think 12fps is horribly slow. but then again you are rendering 500 000 vertices.
Luminary
I'm not sure this is the right forum to be asking about PC performance numbers -- this is a Mac forum.

However, what's really important more than the number of vertices & whatnot is the number of triangles.

I guess if they're arranged in the obvious way (a regular square grid), that means you're drawing about 1000000 triangles each frame, which is 12000000 triangles per second.

That seems a bit slow for your system, but probably not very much too slow. I'm willing to bet you'll get a decent performance improvement if you put them in a display list.
<seb>
Unregistered

ah, nonsense what i wrote:
i am rendering 250 000 vertices organized as vertex array, which makes 500 000 triangles.

seb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  fast billboards reubert 2 2,721 Oct 7, 2004 04:41 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Too fast! Silden 7 3,870 Apr 16, 2003 02:40 PM
Last Post: Mars_999