A good music program for OS9

Matt Brown
Unregistered

I need a decent music program for GC. I've been using SndSampler, but it's not what I wanted, and the delays are unbearable. Somthing that can merge, as I could do the drum beat, then the guitar bit, then what ever else. Somthing free, or VERY cheap.
Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
If you're using OS 9, you might want to take a look at ProTools Free (http://www.protools.com/ptfree/); it should be able to do what you want it to (it has most of the features of the full, industry-standard ProTools, just with a limited number of audio tracks), and the price ($0) should be within your means. Smile
Founder
Hunt around and you will find SoundEdit. (old shareware program) There are some extra plug-ins for it as well. It has a few bugs and doesn't handle WAV, but I have used it alot!!! It is OS 9 only. Some people use Amadeus.

There is a site like versiontracker for mac music. (link?) macmusic.org (maybe) You can find many free/shareware apps there. Or just try versiontracker.com

Good luck

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Audacity is nice, and open source. My favorite feature about it is the noise removal, which works really well, but I haven't used any other noise removal software so I couldn't compare it. I use it to clean up audio from my dv camera when I make vids. Sound Effects 0.9.2 is free and _really_ quick, but discontinued. It lacks undo, but still is useful. You can just keep making new sound documents to simulate an undo feature, it handles that pretty well.

Good Luck
-Jon
Founder
aarku, that is exactly what I do with SE to combate the no UNDO. Grin

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
There's nothing better than Logic.
http://www.emagic.de/products/ls/platinu...hp?lang=EN

With logic you can compose your own (good sounding) original score in minutes. Many film studios use Logic. It's awesome.Wow

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
I use the under-$20 Melody asstant, gets the job done and has a good bit of different music formats/options, including midi, and MODs as well I think. Good for a budget.

Check it out here:
http://www.myriadonline.com

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

I have a Reason demo. I was using it and I made what would have been a great sounding score for H2O. But since it was the demo, it quit after 20 minutes and I lost all my hard work Mad Now I make short tracks in SoundBuilder and programmed a dynamically generating music system with volume, music intensity, echo, and panning based on the amount of action in the game.

Reason is the best! (right, Camacho?)
Nibbie
Virtual composer is also a good program. To bad the demo doesn't let you open documents or import them Grin so you can't edit your work.
Matt Brown
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Joseph Duchesne
Virtual composer is also a good program. To bad the demo doesn't let you open documents or import them Grin so you can't edit your work.
I HAVE Virtual Composer. Anyway, I downloaded the windows version (My parents ARE going to buy a Mac...I hope) of Melody Assistaint, and I like it alot. Not only does it have more instruments than VC, but it supports multiple instrument scores, and more importantly, can edit it's native format. I haven't registered yet, but I'm going to. Some of the help icons say to press Command instead of crtl. 'S cool.
Founder
Reason has no doubt had a big impact on the industry. It makes me regret buying all my hardware reverbs, compressors, etc...

It would be nice if they released a $100 version of Reason that was limited to only 1 or 2 modules (like only one reverb, one synth, etc) I would jump on that, and upgrade to the full version at some point.

Logic is a great app too, but perhaps overkill for the poster's needs.
you know.

BTW, IK Multimedia is planning to release a new product to replace Groovemaker. I like Groovemaker alot, and have found it easier than MixMan. You can pop out endless tracks with Groovemaker. It will be interesting to see this new product. Also, if you are on a budget, check out STORM, which is a bit like Reason.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

According to the Logic site, it's the most widely used app. Since I haven't bought Reason yet, i can switch sides if Logic's cheaper than Reason. Grin
another great software was called Mixman Studio. It worked great on system 8.1 - 9.1, but I'm not sure if there are any problems with it running in 9.2. The app was discontinued due to low mac users. go to mixman.com for more info on it.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Quote:Originally posted by Camacho
Reason has no doubt had a big impact on the industry. It makes me regret buying all my hardware reverbs, compressors, etc...

It would be nice if they released a $100 version of Reason that was limited to only 1 or 2 modules (like only one reverb, one synth, etc) I would jump on that, and upgrade to the full version at some point.

Logic is a great app too, but perhaps overkill for the poster's needs.
you know.

BTW, IK Multimedia is planning to release a new product to replace Groovemaker. I like Groovemaker alot, and have found it easier than MixMan. You can pop out endless tracks with Groovemaker. It will be interesting to see this new product. Also, if you are on a budget, check out STORM, which is a bit like Reason.

Reason is great, the price wasn't that steep for me since my school paid alot for me(and I bet they got a discount too).

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  cool program for music AREM 1 3,110 Aug 29, 2003 01:49 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  I need a good cheap MIDI program stevejohnson 9 4,706 May 5, 2003 06:05 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho