optimizing OpenGL

ghettotek
Unregistered

i was gonna make several models for each model i have, each one at a different LOD. when i say LOD, im talking about the number of polygons, and the textures used. basically, ill have one model for when the object is close to the camera. this model will be of full detail, with the best quality texture. as the object moves in relation to the camera, the object will switch its model to correspond with its distance from the camera.
Quote this message in a reply
henryj
Unregistered

Good idea. That's the best way to handle LOD.
ghettotek
Unregistered

does the type of texture files i use (tiff is what im using now) affect the overall performance of OpenGL? what if i were to compress all the textures? i dont completely understand how textures are loaded and created yet (more specifically, mipmapping and whatnot).
Quote:does the type of texture files i use (tiff is what im using now) affect the overall performance of OpenGL? what if i were to compress all the textures? i dont completely understand how textures are loaded and created yet (more specifically, mipmapping and whatnot).

The type of file doesn't really matter. All that matters is the size (width*height), bit-depth, and type of filtering.
I think mipmapping should take care of texture lod.
henryj
Unregistered

Texture compression will only make a difference if you are using the format that the video card supports. Otherwise you will be sending uncompressed raw bytes to the card and the only saving will be in the time it takes your app to load the file from disk and decompress it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Optimizing CGLFlushDrawable Nick 3 3,929 Nov 27, 2006 06:48 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Optimizing rendering. jorgemonti 15 5,902 Apr 6, 2005 04:05 AM
Last Post: jorgemonti
  Optimizing for OpenGL on OS X aaronsullivan 3 3,503 Mar 22, 2005 02:36 PM
Last Post: Puzzler183
  Optimizing Terrain Drawing? Blake 10 4,525 Jan 25, 2004 03:44 PM
Last Post: Blake
  optimizing dynamic geometry arekkusu 15 7,231 Nov 27, 2003 12:29 PM