Any free, OSX-compatible 3D software?

I've seen a few, but not many. What's out there that's free or is under $50?

BTW, I already have Meshwork and POV-Ray Smile

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered

I think we will have to add a section to the FAQ to cover artist issues, including recommended tools and brief overviews/reviews. I think the artists should take this up amongst themselves, if they would. The FAQ looks awfully skewed towards programmers, I now notice.

Wings 3D
Blender
Sphaera -- note, the demo is not functioning (embedded time limiter has expired). I have emailed the author but have gotten no response.

And always look here:
Apple's Mac OS X Downloads Page: 3D and Imaging
macboy
Unregistered

Sphaera has been updated on MacUpdate.
Feanor
Unregistered

The date for that file on MacUpdate lists today. Is that a coincidence? Anyway, good news, since I think it's a cool app, and much more friendly than Wings or Blender.
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

Maya PLE. LightWave Demo. Cinema 4D demo. Bryce 5 demo. Poser 4 demo. Demo, demo, demo.
I downloaded Wings again today. I figured out the basics in half an hour and have been fooling around with it ever since. Almost everything is a short keyboard shortcut, and the camera movement is really natural once you get the keys down. (I have the mouse settings on Blender because my scroll wheel doesn't work like a middle mouse button.) I've done the cactus tutorial already. Its only problem is that it's missing a few basic features such as cut and paste, lathe, and an extrude that works.

I hate demos. Either they expire or they can't save or they put a big watermark over renderings. If it's just limited functionality with all of the aforementioned features, I'd like to see it.

Blender's interface is crud. Everything in one window and a huge manual? I think not. They also have some kind of wacked out legal problem/system. They have had to actually disable a feature because of some stupid issue. Wings 3D+Wings POV-Ray export plugin+Meshwork+POV-Ray 3.5 = Cool

I also have Art of Illusion (artofillusion.org). It's cool, but being written in Java, is a little slow. It's pretty powerful for a free program.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
AJ Infinity
Unregistered

I think Maya PLE lets you save. But if you have a 56k, it'll take you a long time to download.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chiptunes: Best mac compatible tracker? TimMcD 6 6,213 Jun 19, 2009 02:10 PM
Last Post: kamelito
  free 3D software snickrep 40 14,627 Jul 27, 2003 06:28 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho