Soul Ride snowboard sim

finlayd
Unregistered

Has anybody looked at porting Soul Ride to OS X?
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered

Well I looked at it, but that does not mean I could do it. Clearly we would not simply want an X11 port, although that would be the easiest I guess. I would certainly like to get to know the terrain code, but that's just the latest on a growing list of terrain renderers in C++ that are out there.

Maybe I'll spend some time looking over the code, maybe put together a PB project and get a feel for exactly how much work would be involved.

Actually I wonder if getting the X11 version running first would not be the most sensible approach. Personally I have done very little X11, but if it's all OpenGL, it probably won't be a big deal. That said, it probably won't be a big deal to switch over to a full screen CG app.
finlayd
Unregistered

Isn't the linux version sdl anyway?
Feanor
Unregistered

I see from the makefile that you are correct. I have some other apps that use SDL running (like Wings 3D), so maybe this will be a trivial port. I'll mess around with it for a little while now and see what I can come up with.
finlayd
Unregistered

Uses linux soundcard support stuff though... Didn't someone write a little wrapper library for that though?
Feanor
Unregistered

Funny that is what I am looking at now and why I came back to make another post.

The whole project assumes Linux with the alternative being Windows. The file gg_audio.cpp begins with a comment saying that it is a wrapper for DirectSound. I assume that is part of DirectX. For header files this is easy enough, but for everything else I will have to be be very meticulous, and even then I expect things to crop up. A lot of this file has "#ifndef LINUX ... #endif" all over it. I really wish that they had made two distinct files. I'm wondering whether I should just leave sound out of it initially.

The other thing I cannot be sure I will not have to deal with is endianness issues, since this software is targeted at x86 directly. If it uses only library calls to work with resource data, probably I won't have a problem.

Anyway I got the lua.lib and lualib.lib to compile with PB easily enough. I am working on gamegui.lib target now. I have not even really looked at the code yet, but I'm hopeful that most of the problematic junk will be in this library, and the main game/engine code will be more platform independent.

Edit: a search reveals ~130 uses of either "#ifdef LINUX" or "#ifndef LINUX". I have already fixed a few which are merely for opengl #includes. Most of these are confined to six files: gameloop.cpp, input.cpp, ogl.cpp, oglrender.cpp, gg_actor.cpp and gg_audio.cpp.

The gl stuff looks manageable, mostly relates to windows functions pointers. There are a bunch of pthread references, and I suspect those will work if I just follow the Linux path on OS X. Most other stuff seems to relate to SDL, so again I mostly expect to just convert
#ifndef LINUX
to
#if !defined LINUX && !defined __APPLE__

and
#ifdef LINUX
to #if defined LINUX || defined __APPLE__

We'll see how it goes.
Feanor
Unregistered

Soul Ride uses powf(), asinf() and some other float-typed math functions which are not in the PPC version of math.h. Need some help here!

I could just use pow and hope the coercion works, but for safety's sake I would have to beware of rounding to zero and special case it, right?
finlayd
Unregistered

Luminary
The float versions of the math functions are in 10.2, but weren't in 10.1.
Feanor
Unregistered

I checked the file, and the prototypes are not there. I have 10.2.3. So, I am confused, but if JCR says it works, I will trust coercion.
Feanor
Unregistered

I need a PPC version of this:

asm("fistpl %0" : "=m" (i) : "t" (f) : "st");

from the function
[SOURCECODE]inline int frnd(float f)
// Rounds f to the nearest int.
{
int i;
#if !defined LINUX && !defined __APPLE__
_asm {
fld f;
fistp i;
}
#else // LINUX (really gcc)
asm("fistpl %0" : "=m" (i) : "t" (f) : "st");
// asm("flds %1; fistpl %0" : "=m" (i) : "m" (f));
#endif // LINUX (really gcc)
return i;
}
[/SOURCECODE]

I will try to simply use straight C/C++.
Luminary
On 10.2, lrint() (& lrintf()) are what you want.

Weird, I can't see powf() or sqrtf() in the header file, but it did compile when I used powf() in a test file...
Feanor
Unregistered

OSC, I found that math function, too, and that works fine.

I had some problems fighting with a few files, only to realize that they aren't actually used. Wacko

Now I've got the problem I predicted: the sound capability depends upon SDL_mixer.h -> not in the Mac OS X port, that I can find. Is there any chance this is a subsidiary library? I'll have to look into it.
Luminary
SDL_mixer is a separate framework, not part of SDL. It does work properly on Mac OS X, though. Get it from http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/
Feanor
Unregistered

Damn you are fast! I just downloaded it now, figuring that was a big hole that somebody MUST have filled. Sure enough... OK, back in a while...