achieving simulated reflections

ghettotek
Unregistered

just wondering how one would go about getting textured polygons to look "shiny" in the light. does it have to do with lightmaps? thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Multitexturing with the second texture sphere-mapped?

Look at the Q3A textures & shaders to see how they're doing it... there was an app called PakRat you could use to do it.
If my memory serves me correctly, the Red Book has a section on texture transforms that give a small example of simulated reflections using a reflection map... use that technique on a second or third pass.
are you talking about specularity (reflection of light) or just reflecting the world around you?
ghettotek
Unregistered

OneSadCookie: ok, i can see how it looks in Q3A/PakRat, but i want to know how its done. how is sphere mapping involved?

GoodDoug: i mustve overlooked it. that was the first place i looked. do you have a page number or a link?

skyhawk: i think im talking about specularity. basically i just want to add highlights to my polygons, and the highlight look slightly different at different angles. more specifically, im trying to achieve the look of shiny metal on a flat polygon. its kind of hard to explain, you know if you take a metal object and move it slightly in the light, you see the highlights moving? ive seen this done before using some "cheat" somebody was talking about.

thanks everyone.
Luminary
If you look at the shader code in PakRat it'll probably tell you that texture coordinates for the second pass are being generated as a sphere map.

The Red Book has a section on sphere-mapping, under automatic texture coordinate generation.
ghettotek
Unregistered

ok so i got the whole sphere-mapping thing down. it looks nice, very impressive what automatic texture coordinate generation can do. now i got a bunch of shiny metal-looking objects flying around my window. gonna try to fix that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wonky specular in reflections TomorrowPlusX 4 2,926 Jun 1, 2008 05:55 AM
Last Post: Weebull