Genre cross-overs

lol, I like the text adventure shooter :-) That would make a good gag game, methinks :-)
Quote this message in a reply
Feanor
Unregistered

This should really be in the game design forum, no?
griffin239
Unregistered

Indeed it should.

somehow it just got all flowing in here.

Perhaps off-topic is the realm where inspiration comes from.
Feanor
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by OneSadCookie
Why not a second-person shooter? You see yourself through the eyes of your enemies (and their surveillance cameras), and you can press a key to cycle through the different possible views?

Of course, maybe it just goes black if nobody can see you...

These narrative "person" things as applied to games break down when you look at them too closely. Second-person narrative, hardly ever used, involves someone else telling you what you did. Since the narrator in games could be considered the player, that means that you tell someone else what they did/do, which is really more like what we called the third-person game, where you push some character around. Unless of course you are the type who imagines that you are that little person...

The third-person narrative involves the narrator telling the audience what some third party did, in which both the narrator and the audience are both essentially passive observers, which is kind of like when you play the Sims and don't actually tell them to do anything, but just watch what they do by themselves.

First-person is pretty much the same in both.
w_reade
Unregistered

I played some of a text adventure once where you were a captured spy (?I never got far enough to be sure) and were recounting how you infiltrated the [whatever-it-was] to your interrogator. Lots of "No, we know you didn't do that. Tell us what you really did."...it was a bit frustrating, to say the least, but I reckon it's the closest to a 2nd-person game I've played.

I'll move this to game design.
Oldtimer
Text-interface flight sim, anyone? (Actually, it might become quite cozy, couldn't it?) I miss text adventures like soo much.
Nibbie
My game Gunslinger Chronicles is a crossover. It plays like FF6, but you can fly from planet to planet in spacecraft.Yuo board ships in FF6 mode whare you fight the crew and see the inside of the ship. It is sort of a FF6-EVO crossover.
GameDev
Unregistered

How about a Word 6/Beach Head 2002 cross-over! It would actually improve Beach Head, though. The game would quit before you actually got to playing it Grin
w_reade
Unregistered

I have long wished for a Mac release of Typing of the Dead.

If you're not familiar with it, it's basically House of the Dead (lightgun zombie game) where you have to type fast and accurately, rather than shoot fast and accurately. Pure genius.
quillbit
Unregistered

Well, I suppose that Shiny's Sacrifice counts as a first-person strategy game -- and it was indeed difficult to get perspective on the battlefield, rendering it largely a failure despite its other fine qualities. I think there's promise, though; in particular, I'm thinking about the Red Storm games, which are along the same lines, but considerably more successful (amazing what a detailed map function does for a strategy game!).
Feanor
Unregistered

First-person chess, anyone? Oh, right, they did it in Harry Potter.

How about a God game where you play one of the villagers and your job is to thwart God and escape his universe in some way?

How about a turn-based shooter? Did somebody say that? Oh wait, that's Final Fantasy. Rasp Okay, a turn-based first-person shooter... Can you imagine turn-based Quake? Shock

Are there any first-person sports games? Besides that boxing game...

How about a computer drinking game? Rasp

I guess Kiki could have been classified as a first-person puzzle game.

MMO-Turn-based-strategy? MMO-chess? If I crossed Quake3 with Dungeon Master, I would get Quake1!! Wow No wonder I liked it so much.

How about full-contact Wheel of Fortune? On the computer? Wheel of Fortune ... TO THE DEATH!

OK, that's enough or I'll never stop.
Oldtimer
Keep it up, Feanor. Smile

A quite cool cross-over springs to mind - Blast Corps for the Nintendo 64 (which in itself is a crossover-mad game - vehicle-driven shoot-em-up demolition of buildings in puzzle/racing mode) featured a racing-style Pac Man bonus level. You race a demolition truck around the Pac Man maze, avoiding ghost bulldozers. Whew, that game was loaded with twisted ideas...