Genre cross-overs

Oldtimer
I guess this is pretty off-topic (in the Free Talk board, yeah!) Smile but I'll see what you can come up with. I was playing in my head with game genre cross-overs, and came up with the many ways you can combine First Person Shooter (FPS) and Real Time Strategy (RTS) into less attractive constellations: Smile

Real Time Shooter (I kind of expect my games to be...)
First Person Strategy (Could be hard to get perspective on the battlefield...)
First Time Strategy (Might be somewhat unattractive in real life, experience is of the essence)
Real Person Shooter (Oh, no. That's a felony.)

I guess there are more whacky combinations of different game genres, what can you come up with?
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Originally posted by Fenris
First Person Strategy (Could be hard to get perspective on the battlefield...)

Yeah(but you could call tactical shooters that, perhaps), on the GC there is a third person strategy game(you control a character that controls other characters) called Pikmin which pretty cool and original.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Oldtimer
Cool, I never thought of Pikmin that way... hey, these might actually work! Smile
griffin239
Unregistered

Massively Multiplayer Online Board Games (MMOBG): Hundreds of people playing on the same Monopoly board. Chess played in 3D space against thousands of would be kings.

Turn Based First Person Shooters: guaranteed to take hours and hours and hours.
Move, wait, move, wait, shoot, wait, move, wait, shoot, wait.
Finally we can all get 56K modems again and compete with broadband users
without their unfair advantage.

Role Playing Flight Sims.... well all I can imagine role playing a sky marshall...or kung fu stewardess fighting back upset passengers and hijackers.

Role Playing Maze Games: Imagine if you had to manage Pac-Man stats and equipment
and level up.

Real Time Strategy Scrolling Shooters. Manage multiple ships/player objects across an ever scrolling play field.

Real time Strategy Survival horror: this would be cool, like Myth meets resident evil.
I could see controlling a team of SWAT and civilians against raging hords of zombies, lickers and the Nemesis, with plot driven characters.

On that note Massively Multiplayer Survival Horror.... a genre that must be explored.
first person puzzle game... dangit they did this already (myth)
lets see... role playing strategy game... dangit! warcraft3...
massively single player first person puzzle maze straategy shooter!
griffin239
Unregistered

Massively single player?
Finally enjoy role playing with your multiple personalities.

Of course each personality needs to register and pay for an account to
play, and you need a note from your shrink.
Oldtimer
LOL, Griffin! Wow

I was about to suggest Third Person Beat'Em Up Shooter until I realized that probably spawned from me playing a lot of Oni lately.

Actually, I'm currently writing a design spec for a third person racer, but that's not to be talked about yet. Sniff it for uDevGame 2003. Smile

I just wonder why the second-person perspective is so badly explored. A second person shooter would be cool, shooting yourself in the face never looked quite so good. (Oooh... That's tasteless...)

Massively Multi-Online Word Processing? That's the Wiki FAQ.
Third Person Spreadsheet program?

Edit:

Speaking of which, would anyone throw up on the following idea, second-and-third person gaming. In effect, you play both yourself and your foe, only at different times?
'First person beat-em up' then Rasp (pity the forum doesn't have a 'bruised' emoticon Rasp)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Oldtimer
Yeah, why haven't anyone used this past the Wolvenstein and Marathon kicks and punches? Might be too unclean to control, maybe?
Luminary
Why not a second-person shooter? You see yourself through the eyes of your enemies (and their surveillance cameras), and you can press a key to cycle through the different possible views?

Of course, maybe it just goes black if nobody can see you...
griffin239
Unregistered

how about Bird's eye view? you see yourself through the eyes of innocent animals.

Or civilian view, as you run amok with your BFG you see yourself through the eyes
of the poor innocents you are accidentally terrorizing.

I like the idea actually of seeing through the eyes of the enemy, or security camera's.
But I think maybe it would be a bit too much like Columbine High.

Imagine seeing yourself through the eyes of a zombie...sure you think you look
more buff than duke nukem..but all they see is a chicken leg with gravy.
About the first person beat 'em up game ... Konami has an arcade boxing game where you actually put on boxing gloves and hit one of six pads, three on either side of the screen. But that doesn't get very complex, I imagine.

What about a dance style MMORPG? Grin Everybody walks around dancing and you need to pull off "killer" moves to destroy the baddies or just watch others. To destroy dragons, you'd need to coreograph (sp?) a large team to dance in unision. heh.

First person classic arcade game: I've seen this at an arcade where you strap into a VR helmet and play Pac Man :-) I would love to play the original Super Mario Bros. or Zelda games as first-person games. I've got those memorized enough that it wouldn't matter if I couldn't see where I'm supposed to go or where the bad guys are coming from :-)
How about a fourth person game, like a fourth person shoot em up(you see from the view of a person that has nothing at all to do with the game, and he is just doing normal boring stuff. And then suddenly you hear a boom, becouse you died from a missile...)
Hmmm... might not work so well Rasp

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
macboy
Unregistered

Consider a no person game. Wouldn't that be interesting Bored All you can do is listen to bloody sounds and you don't know who's dead. Grin Can't even see. That would sure be funWacko
griffin239
Unregistered

How about a text adventure shooter:
North
You see a bot.
Shoot
Too late he shot you.
Respawn
You are alive again.
north
You see a tree.
Look tree.
There is ammo
get ammo
you got the ammo
East
you are east of the tree
Look
you see nothing of interest
Run
you are moving faster, in place
Run East
Sorry I don't understand Run East, try again
East
you run east. You see the Flag. There is a bot here.
Shoot Bot.
You shoot the bot. The bot shoots back.
Dodge.
Too late his missile frags you into bloody shreds. You died.