Help with color conversions, please?

Sawtooth
Unregistered

[Image: Sawtooth-Idle.gif] [Image: Sawtooth-walking.gif]

So I have these two sprites I made recently. I want to put them into a klik & play game, (Yeah, I can't program. I'm learning, but klik & play seems to suit my needs right now), but I'm having a terrible time converting them into a mac-compatible standard 256 color palette. I've tried converting them with Imageready and Photoshop, but It doesn't come out it's supposed to. It puts all of this dithering in it in the workspace, and the colors are inaccurate when I export it. I've tried switching the preview from 'uncompensated color' to 'mac standard RGB' (or whatever it is), but it still keeps that awful dithering in it. I've also been fooling around with the profiles and calibrations, but it doesn't help me at all.

Does anybody know of any programs that can help me? I'm using os 9.2.2 with photoshop 6.0.3 and imageready 3.1 (it came with photoshop)

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Have you tried GraphicConverter?
Sawtooth
Unregistered

Nope.... I foresee myself trying it out sometime soon, though.Smile
I loaded the image into a cicn resource in Resourcer, and just pasted it in.
[Image: sawtooth.gif]

"Programmers are tools for converting caffeine into code."
Changing the mode from RGB to Index, and selecting the "System (Mac OS)" colour table should work just fine in Photoshop. I've done a lot of 8bit pallette work in Photoshop without problems, and it has much better dithering options than Graphics Converter - last time I checked anyway...

If the colours in Photoshop look different than in other apps, you may need to adjust Photoshop's colour settings (sounds like you've already played with these options - can be tricky).
Hey, it's Sawtooth from Pixelation.

In the color settings try the PS5 or Web Graphics setting (this is in 6, but I think those 2 options are in 6 as well). Basically you want *no* color calibration to be going on, otherwise your graphics will look different in Photoshop than in other programs. The actual color values will be the same, it'll just look different.

Why do you need to fit it into the Apple palette? Does Klik & Play not support custom CLUTs?
Sawtooth
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by Bachus
Hey, it's Sawtooth from Pixelation.

In the color settings try the PS5 or Web Graphics setting (this is in 6, but I think those 2 options are in 6 as well). Basically you want *no* color calibration to be going on, otherwise your graphics will look different in Photoshop than in other programs. The actual color values will be the same, it'll just look different.

Why do you need to fit it into the Apple palette? Does Klik & Play not support custom CLUTs?

Whoah, it's Bachus!

Done and done; doesn't make a lot of difference though. I always have trouble with photoshop color settings because I'm no colorist/print artist, and all of the options overwhelm me.

As for custom CLUTS, I don't know. It certainly won't let me change them from inside the program. And I just found out why it's not working right- it uses a custom 256 color palette, and I can't change it. Mad It dithers the hell out of my brand spanking new mac-palette-compatible sprite; Apparently it wants me to use the in-program sprite editor.

Akisha: That's exactly the result I want! Too bad I don't currently have resourcer or the money needed for it, and Klik & play would screw up the results.