Triangular Data Structure

Sta7ic
Unregistered

I'm trying to demo a dentable wall, as a concept point, and having some trouble handling the mesh. This is mainly because, rather than using a "rasterized" model that arrays the verticies, two large triangles are dented, deformed, and tesselated when impacted. The entire stumbling block is, "What kind of a tree handles triangles and sub-triangles, a trinary tree?"
The base idea is sketchy. Individual triangles would be at the end of the branches, and internal coordinates would be based on proximity to verticies (from which you CAN find rectangular coordinates) and depth. I'm guessing that this is way too complex for reasonable simulation, but does anyone have some experience or opinion on the matter?

-Sta7ic Matt
Quote this message in a reply
I would divide the wall up into quads and then subdivide those as necessary, in an octree-like method.
Luminary
... and it's called "ternary" Wink
Sta7ic
Unregistered

Hmm. Thanks. I'll try a quadtree implimentation first, and redo the demo with a ... ternary ... if the inclination comes back.

Now, to re-re-reread the section on loose octtrees. Which brings to mind the point that there aren't any good articles on data structures on gamedev.net -- kinda funny.

-Sta7ic
Luminary
No no no... I meant "ternary" is like "binary", so it's a "ternary tree"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  question about code structure/style Najdorf 3 3,056 Nov 13, 2005 10:55 AM
Last Post: Zekaric
  Creating Triangular mesh from vertex mahmoodnh 1 2,844 Oct 31, 2005 02:54 AM
Last Post: aarku
  Game Module Structure Question Lunatic 7 3,508 Sep 6, 2005 04:27 AM